AARP safety course
The American Association of Retired Persons safe driving course will be held from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. today at the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street. Cost is $12 for AARP members, $14 otherwise and includes anyone age 50 and older. No preregistration. Bring sack lunch.
Boys & Girls Club dinner
The 19th annual Athens Boys & Girls Club Dinner will be at 6:30 tonight at the Beasley Center of the First United Methodist Church. Live auction. Individual tickets are $20 and are available at the club, 1017 W. Washington St. Contact: 256-232-4298. Proceeds benefit the Club.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church, 1300 Lindsay Lane. Make reservations by noon today, Feb. 21, at 256-232-7207.
Hunt, raffle and stew
A benefit coon hunt, raffle and chicken stew for Kyle Crouch, who has muscular dystrophy will be held Saturday at the North Alabama Coon Hunters Association, 33656 Alabama 99 in Anderson at the Goodsprings community. Hunt fee is $10 per person. Stew will be ready by 11 a.m. Raffle is for a 22 rifle. More details available through Eugene Blakely (coon hunt entries) 256-431-3273, Mark Jones 256-509-4064 and Charlie McMeans 256-431-9618.
Registration for 2013-2014 Athens City Schools kindergarten will be from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at the individual elementary schools from Monday, Feb. 25 through March 1. See Athens City Schools website www.acs-k12.org for registration requirements.
Tye Dye for Teens
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host Sharpie Tye Dye for Teens only from 3:30-5 p.m. Monday. Bring your own clean, white T-shirt or pillowcase. Snacks included. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 12:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Athens Bible School gymnasium, 507 S. Hoffman.
Civitan game night
Athens Ladies Civitan game night will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday at First National Bank located at the corner of U.S. 72 East and Lindsay Lane. Guests are invited for bingo, snacks and door prizes. Contact: Pat Lewis 256-232-7370 or Carol Malone 256-232-2865.
The Limestone County Farmer’s Federation is holding a nonperishable food drive through Feb. 22 in observance of Food Check-Out Week. Drop off items between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at any ALFA Insurance office in Limestone County and on Main Street in Ardmore.
Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 21, at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Potluck dinner. The public is invited.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. today, Feb. 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Susie Adams, licensed and certified lymphedema and massage therapist. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Historian, and Senior Military Instructor Ed Kennedy will give a talk on African-American Confederate soldiers. Public invited.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be attorney R. Garry Clem. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. February project is to make chisels from 5160 steel. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 25, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend and find out what can be done to help loved ones. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• Soil and Water Conservation: The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation district board of supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102, Athens. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.