Turkey shoot/stew sale
West Limestone Volunteer Fire Department will hold a turkey shot and goat/chicken stew at 10 a.m. Saturday at the fire department.
Swamp John’s lunch
A Swamp John’s fish, chicken or combo lunch will be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday at Frazier CME Church on Hine Street. Cost is $10. Proceeds go to Relay for Life. For information or tickets: Jimmy Gill 256-232-0591.
Community Thanksgiving service
The Athens-Limestone Ministerial Association will have a community Thanksgiving service at 6 p.m. Sunday hosted by First Baptist Church in Athens. Those in attendance are requested to bring nonperishable items to help “stuff a truck” for Limestone County Churches Involved.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Holiday Home Tour
Athens Ladies Civitan Club is selling tickets for their Holiday Home Tour to be held from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. For information on homes to be toured and ticket locations, contact Carolyn Stair 256-233-0258 or Carol Malone 256-232-2865.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. today, Nov. 14, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Bobby Black will present the program, “Autumn Holiday Floral Arrangements.”
• School board meeting. The Athens City School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, in the boardroom at the central office.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street to wrap Birdie Thornton Christmas gifts. Members are asked to bring scissors and tape.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Nov. 15, at Mac’s Steakhouse, 1733 S. Jefferson St., in Athens. Social at 6 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be national committeewoman Vicki Drummond.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner will be served. Upcoming events and club business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Positive Look. The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday, Nov. 16, at the Athens Recreation Center. Bring snacks to share. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 17, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Dr. Alison Barrett from “Antique Road Show.” Breakfast served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP meeting for election of officers and executives will be held from 6:30-8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, at 17308 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489 or 256-216-5668.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend and find out what can be done to help loved ones. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will host Thanksgiving dinner for members and their families at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. No meeting is scheduled. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.