The News Courier
North Border Lodge No. 391 will serve a country-style breakfast from 7-9 a.m. today, July 27, at the lodge on Salem Field Lane in Salem. The public is invited. More information: Steve Rogers 256-714-0552 or Mickey Robertson 256-206-2242.
FBLA car wash benefit
Athens High School Future Business Leaders of America will host a car wash to benefit the Red Cross for Oklahoma tornado relief from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. today, July 27, at Limestone Veterinary Clinic in Athens. Cost is $5 per car.
Tractor and truck pull
Alabama Championship Tractor and Truck Pull continues tonight, July 27, at Tanner High School. Information: 256-497-4309 or 431-1292.
Pleasant Point Cemetery
Decoration day is today, July 27, at Pleasant Point Cemetery. Business meeting at 10 a.m. Rain date is following Saturday. Donations for upkeep and fence replacement can be mailed to Carrie Durham, 18175 Thompson Road, Athens, AL 35611. Information: 256-729-6746.
Mental health forum
The News Courier and Athens State University will sponsor a mental health forum from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 30, in the ballroom of the Sandridge Student Center on the campus of Athens State. Featured speakers will be mental health care workers, Probate Judge Charles Woodroof and law enforcement representatives. Topics of discussion will include mental illness indicators, resources and funding. The forum is open to the public, but may be of special interest to health care workers, clergy, teachers or any other professionals who work with the public on a daily basis. The public may also submit anonymous questions that will be answered by the panelists.
A post-traumatic stress disorder discussion will be held from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 31, at the Huntsville Public Library, 915 Monroe St. Dr. David Ferguson, psychologist at Fox Army Health Center will lead a discussion to include signs and symptoms, federal and local resources and a question and answer session. Contact: Linda Blankenship or Mattavia Burks 256-372-4600.
Summer meal program
Free breakfast and lunch will be provided July 15-Aug. 2 at Piney Chapel Elementary School cafeteria for any child through age 18 living in Limestone County. Breakfast is from 7:45-8:15 a.m. and lunch is from 11-11:30 a.m.
Benefit yard sale
Useable sale items including clothes and furniture are needed for a benefit yard sale to be held Aug. 9-10 for cancer patient Jeff Miller, son of Margie and Ray Gold. Drop off items at 200 Hastings Road next to Lindsay Lane Baptist Church or call 256-232-5380.
AHS Class of ’58 reunion
Members of the Athens High School Class of 1958 are planning a reunion for 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 17, at Yesterday’s Event Center on Browns Ferry Road. For more information, call Richard at 256-278-1262 or Bobbie Ann at 256-729-5200.
Fletcher and Davis reunion
All money must be in by July 31 for those attending the Fletcher and Davis reunion at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park. Ages 7 and up, $10; ages 4-6, $5; age 3 and under eat free. Contacts: Dezi Fletcher 256-783-9876 or 256-374-9058.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees Chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. today, July 27, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Photojournalist Rebecca Croomes is guest speaker. Breakfast served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. today, July 27, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
• Prestolite reunion. Former employers of Prestolite will meet at 11 a.m. today, July 27, at McCollum’s Catfish and Seafood Restaurant in Decatur.
• Elkmont Class of ’98. Elkmont High School Class of 1998 will meet at 7 tonight, July 27, at Casa Blanca restaurant on U.S. 72 for a 15-year reunion dinner. To RSVP, contact Wendi 256-777-1664.
• Farmer’s Cooperative. The annual membership meeting of the Limestone Farmer’s Cooperative Inc. will be held at 4 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 1, at the Tennessee Valley Substation picnic area in Belle Mina. Meeting includes election of three board members, barbecue dinner and door prizes.
• Quilt Guild. The newly formed Athens Dixie Stitchers Quilt Guild monthly meeting is Thursday, Aug. 1, at Friendship Methodist Church on Lucas Ferry Road. Meeting follows 6-6:30 p.m. social time. Anyone interested in quilts or quilting is welcome. More information 256-233-3113.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary will hold their monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 1, at the Post home at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman at 256-233-3023.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.