Relay for Life fundraiser
T&C Stamping Inc. employees are holding a yard sale from 6:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. today at 1403 Freeman Ave. in Athens to raise money for Relay for Life. Items include household, toys, clothes, furniture, cookbooks and more.
Walk for Autism
The Walk for Autism is at 8:30 a.m. today at Athens High School. A $30 registration fee includes a T-shirt. There is a 2-mile walk and other activities for kids and families. Register at www.walkforautismal.com.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. today at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
Elkmont Bean Day
A $5 meal of beans and cornbread with trimmings, dessert and drink will be available on Bean Day from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. today at the Elkmont Fire Department. Meal is $3 for children age 8 and under. Event includes live entertainment and door prizes.
Keith Dunnavant event
The Giles County Literary Club will host Athens native and author Keith Dunnavant from 2-4 p.m. today at the Staar Theater, on Main Street across from the courthouse, in Pulaski, Tenn. He will discuss his soon to be released book, his books on football and sign books. Open to the public. Light refreshments served. Contact: JoAnne Beam 931-565-3535.
Library applications due
Summer library page applications are due today at Athens-Limestone Public Library. Teen summer volunteers must be at least age 13 and have completed seventh grade by June 1. Applications available at the library and at www.alcpl.org.
The SCV Hobbs Camp Confederate Memorial Service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the city cemetery on Hobbs Street. Free to the public. Contact: 256-434-0441.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Library community forum
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a community forum at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, on the renovation of the future library building. Project Manager Kerrick Whisenant and Library Director Paula Laurita will speak and take questions from the floor. Light refreshments provided. Guests can enter to win a Sony eReader and other door prizes. Contact: 256-232-1233 or www.alcpl.org.
• Evans Cemetery. Anyone with vases or other items at Evans Cemetery are being asked to remove them by April 15 for the beginning of mowing season.
Miss Tanner Rattlers entries
April 15 is the deadline to enter the Miss Tanner Rattlers 2013 Pageant to be held at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, April 27, in the high school gymnasium. There is a $30 entry free. Forms available at the high school. Open divisions are birth-age 2 and 3-5 years. K-12th grade entrants must be Tanner High students. Contacts: Sandra Moore 256-233-6682, ext. 385 or email@example.com.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jennifer Janzen, email@example.com.
Veterans Museum fish fry
Advance tickets are available for the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives annual fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Friday, April 26, at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1917 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door and available at the museum, 100 W. Pryor Street.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. today, April 13, at First Presbyterian Church. Junior American Citizens and JROTC awards will be presented. Contact: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733.
• ALCA. Athens-Limestone Community Association will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Village View United Methodist Church, 331 S. Hine St. Purpose is to discuss a grant to fund a Trinity Community Center on the historic Trinity High School/Fort Henderson property on Brownsferry Street. Friends, graduates and supporters are welcome.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 15, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Breast Cancer Support. The Breast Cancer Support Group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Fitness Trainer Janet Hunt is the guest speaker. New members welcome. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. New officers elections are scheduled. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 18, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at Stanfield Restaurant in Rogersville. Contact: 256-232-1628.
• Relay for Life. The Limestone County Relay for Life committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the First National Bank. Team captains meet from 6-7 and committee meeting is 7-8.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, April 18, at HG Grill next to Taco Bell on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is Ronnie Coffman, chairman of the Limestone County Republican Executive Committee. Visitors and new members welcome.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Robert Parham will speak on “Fort Decatur and the Battle About It.” Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.