Owens VFD Swamp John’s
Owens Volunteer Fire Department will have a Swamp John’s fundraiser beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12. Food will be served from 4-7 p.m.
Descendants of Philip Walter Ball and Addie Flanagan Ball are invited to a reunion and covered dish lunch at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at Owens Senior Center.
Cowart Harvest Festival
The festival, from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, is a PTO fundraiser for Cowart Elementary School. It includes numerous carnival style games, bingo, silent auction, food and fun. Armbands for unlimited game play are $10. Tickets are 50 cents each, one ticket needed per game.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information: Bob Borden 256-509-1306. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
American Red Cross and Athens State University will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, at the ASU Sandridge Student Center ballroom. Bring photo ID or American Red Cross donor card. Contact: Tena Bullington 256-233-8243.
Blue Springs Fall Festival
The Blue Springs Elementary School PTO is accepting local and area businesses to participate as vendors in its annual Fall Festival to be held from 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24. Vendor spaces are $20 each. Vendors must supply own tables and chairs. Registration deadline is Oct. 18. Contact Katrina Lecroix at 256-434-0542 to request a registration form.
Athens Fire Auxiliary tournament
The Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary Golf Tournament will be Oct. 17 at Canebrake Club. Activities begin with 11:30 a.m. lunch, followed by 12:45 p.m. rules meeting, and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $400 per four-person team; Mulligan package is $20 per player. Proceeds go to support local charities, including Shop With a Firefighter at Christmas. To register or sponsor: Chris Gillman 256-874-5638 or David Andrews 256-431-1585.
Salvation Army is applications for Christmas assistance from 9 a.m.-noon Monday, through Friday, Oct. 11, at the thrift store at 699 E. Hobbs St. in Athens. Bring proof of identification, all bills, telephone number, verification of income. No applications will be taken over the phone; no children are allowed at application day.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at Athens Recreation Center at U.S. 31 and Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. Wellness screening and flu shots will be offered free for PEEHIP or Southland cardholders. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Contacts: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3636.
• Tremor support. The North Alabama Essential Tremor Support Group will meet 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at Madison Wellness Center, 8391 U.S. 72 in Madison. The topic is Educating the Public. Essential tremor is a neurological condition that affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
• City Council. Athens City Council members will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street. Work session begins at 4:30 p.m.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. This will be a Blessings Gathering for women to enjoy dinner and share blessings found during the fight against breast cancer. More information: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Following a covered dish dinner, Steve Brown of Auburn University will present the program, The Most Prominent Man in Alabama: John McKinley and Early Alabama Politics.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.