Mardi Gras parade
The third annual Athens Mardi Gras parade begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in front of Athens State’s Center for Lifelong Learning on the downtown Square. Children and adults can string beads at 5:30 p.m. Beads provided for throwing. Mardi Gras costumes encouraged. No fee to participate. Participants should gather at the corner of Washington and Marion streets by 6:15 p.m. for lineup.
Cleanup volunteers needed
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful seeks volunteers for a cleanup of the Elk River Canoe & Kayak Trail and surrounding land areas to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday. Lunch and bottled water provided. Individuals, families, or interested groups welcome. More information: 256-233-8728 or email KALBCares@gmail.com.
The Limestone County NAACP free motivational reading program for children ages 3-13 will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Lunch and transportation provided. Registration information: 256-216-5668.
Swamp John’s supper
Tickets are available at $10 each for the City of Athens Relay for Life Team’s Swamp John’s supper to be held 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, March 11 at Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor St. Meal will be shrimp, fish, chicken or a combo with sides and tea. Proceeds benefit American Cancer Society and local cancer patients. Tickets: 256-233-8730.
Registration for 2014-15 Athens City Schools kindergarten is 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. through Friday of this week at the individual elementary schools. See www.acs-k13.org for registration requirements.
Vidalia onions sale
The annual Athens Ladies Civitan Vidalia onions sale is underway. Order deadline is April 11. Orders available in May. Ten pounds for $10. Call 256-771-7672 or 232-6086 to order or mail orders to ALC, P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612. Include check, number of bags wanted, name, address and phone.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet for a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 5, at The Fish Creel in Anderson. More information: Don 256-232-3895.
• Beekeepers. The Limestone County Beekeepers Assoc. will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 6, at Limestone County Water Authority, 17218 U.S. 72 West, about one-quarter mile west of Collins Supply.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary will hold their monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 6, at the Post home, 124 Cloverleaf Drive. More information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of Daughters of American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, March 8, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
• Master Gardeners. Limestone County Master Gardeners will meet at noon Monday, March 10, at the Extension Office on Market Street. The public is invited to the program on Lasagna Gardening presented by Sue Bish. The business meeting will follow.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 11, in the school library.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.