Thanksgiving dinner fundraiser
The Limestone County Young Republicans will host a Thanksgiving Dinner from 5:30- 8:30 p.m. Thursday to assist with its canned food drive. It will be at Oak Grove Clubhouse,26096 Thach Road. The price of the meal is five canned goods or $7 a plate for adults and $5 for kids 10 and under. Proceeds go to the Athens food bank.
Historical ornament fundraiser
Christmas ornaments are available for $15 at Osborne’s Jewelers at 622 S. Jefferson St., Athens. Limestone County Historical Society chose U.G. White Hardware for this year’s ornament, with proceeds to be used to buy fourth-grade history books. Contact: 256-232-2878.
Donnell House fundraiser
A wine and appetizers, dinner and dessert event will held Nov. 22 to benefit the Donnell House. Tickets are $50 per person. Schedule includes: wine/appetizers, 5-6:30 p.m., 202 E. Washington St.; dinner at the Donnell House, two seatings (6 and 7 p.m.); desserts, 7-9 p.m., Athens State University’s Founders Hall. Reservations: Jacque Reeves 256-509-3940.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays.
A shoot will be held from noon until 3 p.m. every Saturday through Dec. 7 at the Vietnam Veterans Building,17915 W. Elm St. Win a turkey or ham.Contacts: Bill Schueler 256-233-5549 or Jesse McCune 256-232-0029.
The monthly American Legion Post 49 chicken stew will not be served in November. More information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Nov. 16 at Alabama Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Breakfast served. Guest speaker is John Davis, retired intelligence officer and author of “Rainy 11Street Stories.” Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• NAACP. The Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. More information: 256-227-8489.
• Ladies Civitan. Athens Ladies Civitan board meeting is at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Maryann Shepard’s home. Board members, Operation Santa chairmen and Tour of Homes chairmen are asked to attend.
• Friends of the Archives. Quarterly meeting is at 5 p.m. Nov. 19 at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. The public is invited. More information: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 for snacks and fellowship with meeting to follow at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street. More information: 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Nov. 21 at Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street to wrap Christman gifts for Birdie Thornton clients. Members are asked to bring scissors and Scotch tape.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Nov. 21 at the HG Grill on U.S. 72. Meal at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Special guest speaker is state Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur. Everyone is invited.
• AMVETS. American Veterans monthly meeting is Nov. 21 at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Fellowship and covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Cathy Gordon Wood, president of Giles Co. UDC, will speak on “Horses of the Confederacy.” Public invited.
• Narcotics Anonymous. The Courage to Change Narcotics Anonymous closed meetings are ongoing and held at 6:30 p.m. on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays at 11309 Ripley Road in Athens. Contact:Michael 256-962-1831.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.