The News Courier
Caregivers Night Out will be held from 6-9 pm Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road in Athens. Make reservations no later than noon Thursday, April 4, by calling RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
Friday is the deadline for graduating seniors or full-time college students to apply for the Limestone County Farmers Federation $1,000 scholarship. The student, parent, or legal guardian must be a member of the Limestone County Farmers Federation. Applications available at ALFA Office on U.S. 72 West. Contacts: Melanie Maples at 256-233-3456 or Patty Marsh at 256-350-1875.
Injured dog fundraiser
Local writer Barbara McGreger will hold a fundraiser from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday for Honey, a neglected pit-bull terrier recently found with a badly imbedded collar, and Town & Country Animal Hospital, which treated the dog. The event is at Pablo’s on Market Street in downtown Athens. Proceeds from her signed books, “The Last Mile Home” and “Covered and Smothered,” will go to Samaritan’s fund of Town & Country.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Elk River cleanup
Volunteers to assist Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful in cleaning up a land and water section of the Elk River will meet at 8 a.m. Saturday at a central location to be announced and then disperse to cleanup locations. Trash bags, gloves, bottled water, and lunch will be provided. Must register in advance. Register or information: 256-233-8728 or email KeepALBeautiful@att.net.
Coffee Call for area veterans and spouses — sponsored by Eugene and Jason Sanders — will be from 8-9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Contact: Sandy at 256-771-7578.
Bethel, Tenn., Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast for charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the lodge. Public invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
East band yard sale
The East Limestone High School band annual yard sale is from 6 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday in the school’s old gym. Donations accepted Friday, April 5, after school at the gym.
Athens-Limestone area Greek Meet will be from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Sunday at First Baptist Family Life Center, 201 E. Hobbs St., Athens. The event shows college-bound girls and a parent or guardian how to prepare and register for college recruitment, about sorority membership costs and how to obtain recommendations from sorority alumnae. Contact: Teresa Brown at email@example.com.
Prospect Cemetery meeting
The spring meeting of Prospect Cemetery Association will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Prospect Rescue Squad building in Prospect, Tenn. Will include reports from various committees on repairs, upkeep and improvements in work. Contact: Charliz at 256-216-5840.
Elkmont Pickin’ & Grinnin’ dance will be at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 8, at the depot in downtown Elkmont. Live music and dancing. Contact: 931-427-6296.
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 7:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 10, at the Athens High School old gymnasium, 100 U.S. 31 North. Each donor receives a T-shirt.
Rodeo queen applications
Applications are available at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, online at www.limestonesheriffrodeo.com, and at Preston’s Western Wear on U.S. 72 East for the 31st annual Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo Queen Pageant. Entry deadline is Friday, April 12, for ages 3-15 and Friday, May 3, for ages 16-26. Contact: Jennifer at 256-232-0111.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, firstname.lastname@example.org ,or Jennifer Janzen, email@example.com
The Athens State University 2013 Senior Art Exhibition “Hanging the Artists” is on view through April 11 at Alabama Center for the Arts, 133 Second Ave. NE in Decatur. An artist reception will be held from 7-9 p.m. Friday, April 5.
• Piecemakers Quilt Guild. The Piecemakers Quilt Guild of Athens will hold its final meeting tonight, April 4, at First Church, 17175 Lucas Ferry Road. Social time is 6:15 p.m. and the meeting at 7. Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Co. will present the program. Contact: 256-233-3113.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 tonight, April 4, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman at 256-233-3023.
• Sportsman Club. Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 tonight, April 4, at 102 Bullington Road in Athens. Upcoming events and business will be discussed. Covered-dish dinner to follow. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Assoc. will meet at noon Monday, April 8, in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens.
• Cancer Support Group. An encouragement, support and friendship meeting of the Cancer Support Group will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-4211.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, April 9, at the DAV at 25396 Airport Road in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7. Contact: Danny Gilliam 256-771-3225.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.