From staff reports
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6, at Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road in Athens. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Lodge 194 F&AM of Bethel, Tenn., will serve a buffet charity breakfast from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank. Due to various circumstances, this will be the last monthly breakfast served by the lodge.
Panel discussions and a silent auction are part of Kudzu Chronicles: A Southern Writers Event on the Square at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Center for Lifelong Learning downtown. Book authors can rent tables for $20 to promote and sell books. Contact: Sandy Thompson 256-771-7578.
McMunn family reunion
The McMunn family reunion will be held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Participants are requested to bring a covered dish. Contact: 256-232-2895.
The McElyea-Smith reunion will be held at noon Saturday at the Gathering Place in New Haven Townhouses on Santana. Participants are requested to bring a covered dish. Contact: Sarah 256-232-6756.
Country At It’s Best, a benefit concert for Scott & Jan Johnson Sheets will be from 6-8:30 p.m. Saturday at Athens-Limestone Event Center. Tickets are $10 at the door or at 256-233-7361. Scott has Stave IV renal cell cancer. Donations go to medical expenses and can also be made to Scott Sheets fund at First National Bank.
Bean Day donations
Donations are needed for the upcoming Bean Day General Store to include homemade items such as jellies, jams, relish, pickles, crafts, etc. Proceeds go to Limestone County senior centers. To donate, contact Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412.
The Lions Club dove hunt will be held Sept. 7, 8, 14 and 15 at Dickey Hobbs Farm Sunflower-millet. Preselect spots are $30 and $20 the day of the hunt. Contact: 256-732-4304 or 256-732-4300.
Vendors and other exhibitors are needed for the annual Senior Picnic in the Park to be held from 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Big Spring Park in Athens. Contact: Jennifer Reece 256-233-6412.
Personal financial management
Registration is open through Sept. 4 for a free four-week “Exploring Money Matters” class to be conducted from 2-3:30 p.m. consecutive Monday afternoons (Sept. 9, 16, 23 and 30) in Suite C of the county building at 1109 W. Market St. in Athens. First come-first served. Limited class sizes. More information and registration: Limestone County Extension Office 256-232-5510.
Believe to Achieve will host its first talent show at 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8, at the Vietnam Veterans of American building, 17915 W. Elm St. Family-oriented talent welcome. To perform or for more information: Shenequa Phipps 256-874-7457 or Shamone Freeman 256-559-9390.
• Woodmen of the World. Woodmen Labor Day barbecue will be held at 11 a.m., Monday, Sept. 2, at the chapter building on U.S. 72. Members are asked to bring dessert. Contact: Tom Ed Wright 256-232-4459
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will gather Tuesday, Sept 3., at the chapter hall for potluck and the monthly meeting, which will include voting on an updated Chapter 511 Constitution, by-laws and a business loan to consolidate facility upkeep. Food at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends are invited to meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 4, at Garden Plaza Hotel (formerly Holiday Inn) in Decatur for a Dutch-treat lunch. Contact: 256-232-4815.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 5, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• City Council. Athens City Council will hold a work session at 4:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 9, followed by its regular meeting at 5:30 in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street in Athens.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.