The News Courier
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information: Bob Borden 256-509-1306. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Book of Revelation study
Dr. Robbie White, director of Religious Studies at Athens State University, will host a study of the Book of Revelation at the Center for Lifelong Learning from 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15. The event is free to the public.
American Red Cross and Athens State University will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, at the ASU Sandridge Student Center ballroom. Bring photo ID or American Red Cross donor card. Contact: Tena Bullington 256-233-8243.
Drive-thru flu shots
The Limestone County Health Department will hold a drive-thru seasonal flu shot clinic from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, at the Athens SportsPlex on U.S. 31 North.
The cost is $2. There is no out-of-pocket cost if you present your Medicare Part A & B Insurance card. Contact: 256-232-3200.
Athens Fire Auxiliary tournament
The Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary Golf Tournament will be Thursday, Oct. 17, at Canebrake Club. Activities begin with 11:30 a.m. lunch, followed by 12:45 p.m. rules meeting, and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $400 per four-person team; Mulligan package is $20 per player. Proceeds go to support local charities, including Shop With a Firefighter at Christmas. To register or sponsor: Chris Gillman 256-874-5638 or David Andrews 256-431-1585.
Hispanic Heritage Festival
The public is invited to attend the Hispanic Heritage Festival Saturday, Oct. 19, at Swan Creek in Athens. From 1-5 p.m. attendees can hear authentic music and dance and at 2 p.m. can sample each country’s dish of Arroz Con Pollo. There will be salsa dance lessons, and face painting for children. To volunteer or donate, contact Maria Taylor 256-233-0226 or MariaTaylor88@yahoo.com.
Two pounds of pinto beans and 3 pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and while supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked, no names taken.
Pleasant Grove Church Family in Athens is holding a free food box giveaway from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park. More information: 256-216-0660 or 256-233-5995.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Car and truck show
A car and truck show will be held during the Fall Festival on Saturday, Oct. 19, in downtown Rogersville.
Pancake breakfast items needed
The American Legion and the Ladies Auxiliary is in need of items for their annual pancake breakfast fundraiser to be held Saturday, Oct. 26. The event helps support youth programs such as Boys State, Girls State and Legion baseball. Items needed include: pancake mix, syrup, sausage, bacon, butter, coffee, milk and orange juice. The Post home is at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens.
Blue Springs Fall Festival
The Blue Springs Elementary School PTO is accepting local and area businesses to participate as vendors in its annual Fall Festival to be held from 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24. Vendor spaces are $20 each. Vendors must supply own tables and chairs. Registration deadline is Oct. 18. Contact Katrina Lecroix at 256-434-0542 to request a registration form.
Toys for Tots registration
Registration will take place from 9 a.m. until noon and 1-4 p.m. on Thursdays, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, at the United Way office, 419 S. Marion St. Information required for registration includes birth certificates for each child, Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency, picture ID for parent or guardian, and proof of income.
• City Council. Athens City Council members will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street. Work session begins at 4:30 p.m.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. This will be a Blessings Gathering for women to enjoy dinner and share blessings found during the fight against breast cancer. More information: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Following a covered dish dinner, Steve Brown of Auburn University will present the program, The Most Prominent Man in Alabama: John McKinley and Early Alabama Politics.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Jennifer Reece, coordinator with the Council on Aging. Her talk will include 2014 Medicare Part D information.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Oct. 17, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be Jerry Hill, candidate for the 5th congressional district.
• THS Class of ’67 women. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Marilyn McBay’s home. More information: 256-431-2563.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Parson Tim Morrison will speak on Forrest’s Rear Guard Action at Anthony Hill and the Cemetery at Chestnut Grove. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.