Korean War show
“Korea: The Forgotten War Remembered, “a variety show fundraiser for the Alabama Veterans Museum, will be at 2 p.m. today at the Athens-Limestone Senior Center on Pryor Street. Tickets are $10 each and may be purchased at the museum at 100 W. Pryor St. Five-dollar tickets also available to win Karen Middleton painting named after the show. A shuttle bus will pick up ticket holders at the DHR parking lot from 1-1:45 p.m.
Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser meals for Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., and from 5-7 p.m. Monday at the Vietnam Veterans Building on West Elm Street in Athens. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert. More information: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-206-6702.
Affordability Care Act discussion
Stan Johnson of Alabama Arise! will lead a discussion of the Affordability Care Act, more popularly known as Obamacare, 1 p.m. Monday at Grace Missionary Baptist Church, 549 West Elm Street in Athens. The non-partisan, non-political presentation, which will include a question-and-answer session, is hosted by Athens Housing Authority and is open to the community.
Used book sale
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Limestone County Young Republicans are collecting candy to donate to DHR for foster children for Halloween. Donations are accepted until Tuesday, and can be dropped off at The Bakery at Elkmont, 23925 Thach Road, or brought to the next monthly meeting.
Limestone Lodge at 1523 W. Hobbs St., is holding an Open House/Harvest Festival at 5 p.m. Thursday. The public is invited for festivities that include food, fun, games and prizes including one for Best Halloween Costume. Sponsored by the Activity Department.
Gun law meeting
An informational meeting with Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely on Alabama’s new gun law will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Sheriff's Rodeo Arena, Alabama 99, in Athens. All tea party supporters and National Rifle Association members invited. The Athens-Limestone Tea Party and the NRA are sponsors. More information: 256-777-2526.
Veterans of Foreign Wars invites the public to its annual turkey shoots that begin at 9 a.m. on Saturdays from Oct. 26 through Dec. 7. Shotguns will be available. More information: Fred 256-233-0213.
Veterans parade entries
Entries are being taken for the sixth annual Athens Veterans Parade to be held Saturday, Nov. 9 in Athens. A $25 entry fee is requested. All funds used to assist veterans. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-206-6702 or Sandy Thompson 256-771-7578.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will meet Oct. 21 at Old Greenbrier Barbecue. Social time at 6 p.m., dinner at 7. RSVP: Ronnie Coffman 256-206-0517.
• NAACP. NAACP general membership meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 21 at the chamber building at 101 S. Beaty St. More information: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Ladies Civitan. The Athens Ladies Civitan meeting will be at noon Oct. 22 upstairs in the South Jefferson Street Water Authority building.
• Young Republicans. Limestone County Young Republicans will meet at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 22. State School Board Rep. Mary Scott Hunter will speak. Social is at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7:30.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Oct. 26 at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker is Chris Alexander with Blue Cross-Blue Shield. Breakfast served. More information: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.