The News Courier
Athens High veterans program
The Athens High School Veterans Day Assembly is at 9:30 a.m. today in the south gymnasium. A reception in the JROTC rifle range will follow. All local veterans, their families and the public are invited.
Farmers Market closing
The Limestone County Farmers Market at the corner of West Green and South Houston streets will close today and not reopen until spring.
Celebrate Abilities Expo featuring resources available to the disability community will be from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday at the Athens State Unviersity Sandridge Student Center. Free to the public. Vendors will showcase products, services and resources. Sponsored by ASU’s Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Assoc.
The Limestone County NAACP motivational reading program for children ages 3-13 will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Registration information: 256-216-5668.
Free car wash for veterans
Car Wash Express 2 will provide a free car wash on Veterans Day to veterans. The car wash is on U.S. 72 next to Chick-fil-A.
Free haircuts for veterans
Customers who come in for a haircut at Great Clips will receive a free haircut card to give to an active/inactive/retired military member, including the National Guard. Military members can also come in on Veterans Day for a free haircut or to pick up a free haircut card to use, with proof of service, any day before Dec. 31, 2013.
Used book sale
Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. More information: 256-232-1233.
Historical ornament fundraiser
Christmas ornaments are available for $15 at Osborne’s Jewelers at 622 South Jefferson Street. Limestone County Historical Society chose U.G. White Hardware for this year’s ornament, with proceeds to be used to buy fourth grade history books. Contact: 256-232-2878.
State of the County
Limestone County Commission Chairman Stanley Menefee will deliver the State of the County address at 11:45 a.m. Nov. 19 in the Sandridge Student Center at Athens State University. Tickets cost $20 per person. A table of four is $100 and recognized sponsorships are available for $250 (Gold) and $150 (Silver). Gold sponsorships receive two tables and silver sponsorships receive one complimentary table. Proceeds benefit the ASU Foundation. Call 256-233-8215.
Calhoun Fall Concert
The Music Department at Calhoun Community College will conduct its Fall Concert at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 in the Recital Hall of the Fine Arts Building at the college’s Decatur campus. The Calhoun Guitar Ensemble and the Calhoun Chorale will perform. Admission is $5 per person. More information: 256-306-2699 or 256-306-2958.
Holiday Tour of Homes
Tickets are now on sale for the Athens Ladies Civitan Holiday Tour of Homes on Dec. 1 featuring six decorated homes with local caterers. Advance tickets cost $15 at Shea Leighs, Pam's Home Furnishings, First National Bank, Pimentos, Class Act Hair & Nail Salon, Crawfords, Pablo's, Smith Infinity-Huntsville, KALB office, or from an Athens Ladies Civitan member. Tickets at the host homes Dec. 1 are $20. More information: 256-233-0258.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed on Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m. until noon Saturdays.
• GOP Executive Committee. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its monthly meeting at the International House of Pancakes in Athens at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. The guest speaker is state Sen. Bill Holtzclaw, R-Madison.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary welcome the public to attend their annual Veterans Day chicken stew Nov. 11 at the Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Flag raised at 10 a.m. followed by guest speaker Col. Bowers and then stew at 11. Contact: Kevin 256-919-1032.
• Ardmore vets. The Ardmore AL/TN Veterans Club annual Veterans Day dinner is at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 11 at the Ardmore, Tenn. annex behind Pizza Hut. Free chicken stew, drinks and dessert for all and will end when food runs out. More information and directions: 256-874-4821.
• DAV. Disabled American Veterans will meet for fellowship at 6 p.m. and business meeting at 7 Nov. 12 at 25396 Airport Road. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Cancer support group. The American Cancer Society support group will meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 12 at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 for dinner. All survivors and caregivers are invited.
• AGC. Athens Garden Club will meet Nov. 13 at Tanner Baptist Church. Social at 9 a.m., meeting at 9:30.Guest speaker is Natasha McCrary, proprietor, 1818 Farms in Mooresville. Donations collected for Limestone County Church Involved food program. More information: email@example.com.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.