Party in Pink
The Party in Pink Athens Breast Cancer Support Group meets at 6 tonight at the Athens-Limestone Hospital in the Education Room. Our guest speaker with be Eddie Falconberry with Falcon's Nest skin care products.
Astrobiologist Richard B. Hoover will present a lecture, “Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life,” at 7 tonight in the chapel on the second floor of Athens State University’s Founders Hall.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Athens High School Future Business Leaders of American is hosting a blood drive from 1-6 p.m. today at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. The drive is to benefit the Red Cross for Oklahoma tornado relief. Food provided for
Beginning Spanish classes
Registration is underway at The Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115, in Athens for beginning Spanish classes. Classes begin 6:30-8 tonight. $60 registration fee includes a textbook. Must contact in advance at 256-230-3050, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the office.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will host speakers Gayla Amerson and Kim Roberts between 10 a.m. and noon Friday, July 19, at the Athens Recreation Center on U.S. 31. Bring refreshments to share. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
Singing on the Square
Dixon Todd and Southern Splendor Chorus will be featured at Singing on the Square which begins at 6 p.m. Friday, July 19 on the east side of Limestone County Courthouse. Lawn chairs and blankets are encouraged.
Descendents of the Hezekiah Robinson family will meet Saturday, July 20, at the old train depot in Elkmont. Lunch at noon. Covered dishes requested. Contact: 256-732-4548.
Evans cemetery decoration
There will be decoration day at Evans Cemetery Saturday, July 20. Goat and beef stews will be available by 11:30 a.m. Eat in or carry out.
Doors will be open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the community club building on Thach Road Saturday, July 20, for the Germantown reunion. Covered dish lunch. Contact: 256-232-8252 or 256-503-2028.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 20, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
AHS Class of ’78 reunion
The Athens High School Class of 1978 reunion will be held from 6-9 p.m. Saturday, July 20, at Yesterday’s on Browns Ferry Road in Athens. Cost is $25 per person.
Descendants of Alvie and Beulah McCowan Kennedy Yarbrough will have a reunion beginning at 1 p.m. Sunday, July 21, at the Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church activity center at 16230 Mooresville Road. Bring a food and drink. For more information, call 256-431-3569 or 256-233-4416.
Super Sitter course
A “Super Sitter” course that teaches basic first aid, diaper care, child feeding/bottling, environmental care, and how to negotiate a fee, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, July 22-26, at the Center for Lifelong Learning. Fee is $65, which also includes a trip to the 911 office, CPR training and what to do with the money one makes. More information: 256-233-8260
Children’s Drama Camp
A children’s drama camp using the literature of A.A. Milne will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, July 22-26, at the Center for Lifelong Learning. The performance at 4 p.m. Friday, July 26, will include dramatic action scenes. Fee is $65. More information, 256-233-8260
Swamp John’s presale
Swamp John’s dinner tickets are being pre-sold at the Athens Senior Center for a $10 donation. The dinner will be from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, at Owens Senior Center on Alabama 99. Eat in or carry out. Information: 256-230-2753.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m., Aug. 17, at Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Summer meal program
Free breakfast and lunch is being provided July 15-Aug. 2 at the Piney Chapel Elementary cafeteria for any child through age 18 living in Limestone County. Breakfast is 7:45-8:15 a.m. and lunch is from 11-11:30 a.m.
• Planning Commission. Athens Planning Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. today in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 tonight at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet tonight at 306 Barbecue, U.S. 72 East in Athens. Social hour 6-7 p.m.; meeting at 7. If you plan to attend, contact Ronnie Coffman at email@example.com.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet tonight at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Chris Lang with Alabama Humanities Foundation speaks at 7 on antique Alabama furniture.
• Zoning board. Athens Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• Class of ’67 women. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, at the home of Pat Goodin. Participants are asked to bring a covered dish. Meeting location directions: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, July 18, at HG Grill, 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Senator Arthur Orr is the guest speaker.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.