Swamp John’s presale
Swamp John’s dinner tickets are being pre-sold at the Athens Senior Center for a $10 donation. The dinner will be from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, at Owens Senior Center on Alabama 99. Eat in or carry out. Information: 256-230-2753.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m., Aug. 17, at Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Summer meal program
Free breakfast and lunch is being provided July 15-Aug. 2 at the Piney Chapel Elementary cafeteria for any child through age 18 living in Limestone County. Breakfast is 7:45-8:15 a.m. and lunch is from 11-11:30 a.m.
• Planning Commission. Athens Planning Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. today in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 tonight at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet tonight at 306 Barbecue, U.S. 72 East in Athens. Social hour 6-7 p.m.; meeting at 7. If you plan to attend, contact Ronnie Coffman at email@example.com.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet tonight at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Chris Lang with Alabama Humanities Foundation speaks at 7 on antique Alabama furniture.
• Zoning board. Athens Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• Class of ’67 women. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, at the home of Pat Goodin. Participants are asked to bring a covered dish. Meeting location directions: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, July 18, at HG Grill, 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Senator Arthur Orr is the guest speaker.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.