Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
The Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo street dance and western fashion show will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday on The Square in downtown Athens. Contact: Sheriff’s Office 256-232-0111.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, May 16, at 256-232-7207.
Hosta Society of North Alabama will hold a hosta sale from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday in the Murray Hill parking lot of the Huntsville Botanical Garden at 4747 Bob Wallace Ave. in Huntsville. A hosta show will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the education room of the garden’s visitor’s center. Free to the public. Entrance fee to the garden not required for either event.
The town of Anderson Founder’s Day begins at 11 a.m. Saturday. Events include classic car show, craft show, children’s entertainment area, laser tag, horseshoe tournament and children’s entertainment area with inflatables, carnival games and more. Food vendors. Live music by two bands at 4 p.m. at the elementary school football field on Highway 207.
Rodeo queen luncheon
Tickets at $20 are now available for the Rodeo queen luncheon to be held at noon Saturday at Central Church of Christ Family Life Center near U.S. 31/Alabama 251 intersection. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Contact: Jennifer McBay at 256-216-5029.
Rescue squad sale items
Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad needs garage-sale items for June 7-8 fundraiser. No livestock or pets. Call to arrange pickups. Contact: Mike at 256-431-7734.
Owens VFD fundraiser
A door-to-door fund/picture drive is being conducted by the Owens Volunteer Fire Department. It began May 6 and will last approximately four weeks. Donations go toward reworking the Station 2 parking lot.
Senior exercise program
Silver Sneakers FLEX program to get fit and make friends is being held from 8:30-9:15 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor St., Athens. Information: 256-233-6412.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Monday, May 13, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Limestone Ladies. Limestone Ladies will meet at noon Tuesday, May 14, at HG Grill on U.S. 72. Limestone Chapel Funeral home will provide a complimentary lunch and talk about “The Importance of Pre-Planning.”
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 14, at Shoney’s. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, May 14, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Jackie Jackson with Athens Rehabilitation and SeniorCare. Public invited.
• Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Contact: Roxanne 256-771-2029.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet at 5:45 p.m. for dinner and 6:30 for a meeting Thursday, May 16, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 next to Taco Bell. Guest speaker will be Pastor Pat Lawrence from Berea Baptist Church.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Dr. Pete Sparks will speak on “The Burning of Guntersville.” Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.