The News Courier
Athens State University will host its annual Flag Day ceremony sponsored by the Athens State Alumni Association at noon, today, June 14, in the Sandridge Student Center ballroom. A cookout will follow. Guest speaker is Lt. Gen. Jim Pillsbury, the retired deputy-commanding general of the U.S. Army Materiel Command at Redstone Arsenal.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 tonight, June 14, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West.
Southern Splendor Chorus will perform during a pancake breakfast between 8 and 10 a.m. Saturday, June 15, at Applebee’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Cost is $5 for adults, $3 for children ages 3-12. Public is invited.
Benefit car wash/raffle
A benefit car wash and raffle will be held from 8-11 a.m. Saturday, June 15, in Applebee’s parking lot on U.S. 72 for an Athens child born premature and now in Birmingham Children’s Hospital. Car was is $10 and participants receive at $5 off coupon for Appebee’s and are entered in a raffle later this month involving food items from several local businesses. Donations welcome. Contact: Kimberley 256-614-3261 or Whitney 321-4199 to help or make a donation.
Intro to iPad class
Limestone County Schools is offering an iPad basics course taught by Karen Tucker. “Introduction to the iPad” will cover settings, downloads, using apps, saving battery life and more. Event is from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, June15, at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. Contact: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell 256-233-8260.
Poplar Creek Cemetery will hold decoration day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the cemetery on Snake Road. Refreshments available. Meeting at 10 a.m. For those who cannot attend, donations may be sent to Poplar Creek Cemetery, P.O. Box 965, Athens, AL 35612.
The Limestone NAACP is hosting the ninth annual Solo Gospel Fest, emceed by Betty Hardin, at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at Sweet Home M.B. Church, 803 Westmoreland St. in Athens. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
Athens High School Class of 1983 will hold its 30-year reunion at 7 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at 26435 Ed Ray Road, Athens. For more information, email email@example.com.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program dedicated to improving the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, will be held from 9 -10:30 a.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite one of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier and a registered READ dog. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
The annual homecoming and decoration at Pettusville Cemetery will be at 11 a.m. Sunday, June 16. Speaker will be Dr. Timothy McDowell. Donations for the upkeep of the cemetery may be mailed to Marcus Hobbs at 26965 Pettusville Road, Elkmont, AL 35620. Make checks payable to Pettusville Cemetery Fund.
An all you can eat spaghetti supper, sponsored by the AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary, will begin at 5 p.m. Monday, June 17, at the Vietnam Veterans of America building, 17953 Elm St. Cost is $5 and includes spaghetti, salad, bread, dessert and drink. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-374-2073.
Pickin’ & Grinnin’
The Elkmont Pickin’ & Grinnin’ is held at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at the Elkmont Depot downtown. Live music and dancing. Call 931-427-6296.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, June 18. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Ardmore summer reading program
The Ardmore Public Library at 25836 Main St. in Ardmore, Tenn., is holding their summer reading program for children ages 12 and under at 10 a.m. on four successive Wednesdays, June 19 and 26, and July 3 and 10. A ventriloquist, puppet theater and super scientist are among the activities. Full details at 931-427-4883.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, June 17, at the NAACP office, 17803 U.S. 72 West. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Donnell House. A membership meeting for current and prospective members to the Donnell House will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at 601 1/2 Clinton Street. Membership is $10 a year, which is used for upkeep and improvements. Casual dress. Refreshments served.
• Breast Cancer support. The Breast Cancer Support Group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Guest speaker Monique Whitaker will talk about stress, its connection to illness and demonstrate relaxation techniques to manage stress. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• V.F.W. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street. Swearing in of newly elected officials and monthly meeting to follow. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Contact: Roxanne 256-771-2029.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed at 7. All veterans are welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Athens State associate professor of history Dr. Sean R. Busick will speak on Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. Public is invited.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, June 20, at HG Grill, 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Elbert Peters, chairman of the fifth congressional district Republican executive committee is the guest speaker.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.