Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. today at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Tractor pull cookout
The annual cookout for the Tanner Tractor Pull will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 11, at the Tanner Methodist Church Family Life Center. Free hamburgers and hot dogs will be available. Bring side dishes. Anyone interested in helping with the tractor pull is encouraged to attend.
VFW benefit yard sale
The VFW Post at 4765 N. Jefferson St. is requesting items for their benefit yard sale to be held Friday and Saturday, July 12-13. No clothing items are needed. Drop items off any day at the Post location. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
VFW Post at 4765 N. Jefferson St. hosts Karaoke each Friday night. D.J. James will spin the records. Contact: 256-729-0677 or 256-431-7887.
Benefit fish fry
Bethel, Tenn., Masonic Lodge 194 F&AM will host its annual benefit fish fry from 407 p.m. Saturday, July 13, at the community center in Bethel. Adults: $10; children under 12, $5. Eat in or carry out.
Auditions for the Athens State University Community Chorus are being held Saturday and Sunday, July 13-14, at The Center for Lifelong Learning. To arrange an audition, call 256-233-8260 or email email@example.com. New members will be notified by July 22.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, July 13, at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided at no charge. Registration and information: 256-216-5668.
The Meadows family reunion will be from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday, July 13, at Isom’s Chapel, 16230 Mooresville Road. A covered dish is requested for noon lunch. Silent auction items should be delivered early for display.
Swamp John’s presale
Swamp John’s dinner tickets are being pre-sold at the Athens Senior Center for a $10 donation. The dinner will be from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, at Owens Senior Center on Alabama 99. Eat in or carry out. Information: 256-230-2753.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m., Aug. 17, at Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Clements VFD fundraiser
Clements Volunteer Fire Department is conducting a five-week, door-to-door fund/picture drive. Donations will be used to purchase new turnout gear.
• Historic Commission. Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. today, July 9, in the Public Works building at 1600 W. Elm St. Work session begins at 5:45 p.m., regular session at 6.
• DAV. Disabled American veterans will meet at 6 tonight, July 9, for fellowship, with business meeting to follow at 7. More information: 256-771-3225.
• Soil & Water. Limestone County Soil and Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. today, July 9, at the Natural Resources Conservation Office at 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102.
• Cancer Society. American Cancer Society will meet at 6 tonight, July 9, at Shoney’s. Survivors and caregivers are invited. More information: 256-232-6455.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 11. Call 256-233-3023 for information.
• Sportsman Club. Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 11, at the clubhouse on Kennedy Road in Athens. Upcoming events and business will be discussed. Covered-dish dinner to follow. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.