The Greater Limestone County Chamber of Commerce will hold a Chamber Coffee sponsored by LCEDA at 9 a.m. at 1806 Wilkinson St. in Athens. A special invite is extended to any member who has not attended before. Contact: 256-232-2600.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Library community forum
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a community forum at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, on the renovation of the future library building. Project Manager Kerrick Whisenant and Library Director Paula Laurita will speak and take questions from the floor. Light refreshments provided. Guests can enter to win a Sony eReader and other door prizes. Contact: 256-232-1233 or www.alcpl.org.
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad barbecue chicken dinner with all the trimmings will begin at 10:30 a.m. Friday at 1401 Freeman Ave. $7 a plate. Takeouts or delivery. To place orders: 256-431-7734.
Singing on the Square
Singing on the Square will start at 6 p.m. featuring Ashlyn Maine and The Valley Roots. Bring lawn chairs and blankets. Admission is free. In case of rain, call for info. Contact: 256-232-5411 or 256-867-1438.
The Limestone County Master Gardeners plant sale will be from 8 a.m. until noon Saturday at Farmers Market on Green Street.
Secure Your ID Day
Free on-site document shredding will be available from 8:30-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in front of the Davidson Center Building and from 1-3 p.m. at Calhoun Community College on U.S. 31 in Decatur. Participants can bring up to three boxes or bags of paper documents in a drive-thru arrangement.
4 Paws and a Book
A program to improve reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite to Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Free Athens historic walking tours are being held each Saturday in April. Meet at Athens Visitors Center on Beaty Street at 9:45 a.m. Tours leave at 10. Select from five tours.
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful is hosting Earth Day and Outdoor Expo from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday at Big Spring Memorial Park. Event includes raptors, reptiles, and local outdoor and sporting vendors.
• Evans Cemetery. Anyone with vases or other items at Evans Cemetery are being asked to remove them by April 15 for the beginning of mowing season.
Miss Tanner Rattlers entries
April 15 is the deadline to enter the Miss Tanner Rattlers 2013 Pageant to be held at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, April 27, in the high school gymnasium. There is a $30 entry free. Forms available at the high school. Open divisions are birth-age 2 and 3-5 years. K-12th grade entrants must be Tanner High students. Contacts: Sandra Moore 256-233-6682, ext. 385 or email@example.com.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jennifer Janzen, email@example.com.
Veterans Museum fish fry
Advance tickets are available for the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives annual fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Friday, April 26, at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1917 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door and available at the museum, 100 W. Pryor Street.
• ALCA. Athens-Limestone Community Association will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Village View United Methodist Church, 331 S. Hine St. Purpose is to discuss a grant to fund a Trinity Community Center on the historic Trinity High School/Fort Henderson property on Brownsferry Street. Friends, graduates and supporters are welcome.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 15, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Breast Cancer Support. The Breast Cancer Support Group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Fitness Trainer Janet Hunt is the guest speaker. New members welcome. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. New officers elections are scheduled. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 18, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at Stanfield Restaurant in Rogersville. Contact: 256-232-1628.
• Relay for Life. The Limestone County Relay for Life committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the First National Bank. Team captains meet from 6-7 and committee meeting is 7-8.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, April 18, at HG Grill next to Taco Bell on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is Ronnie Coffman, chairman of the Limestone County Republican Executive Committee. Visitors and new members welcome.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Robert Parham will speak on “Fort Decatur and the Battle About It.” Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.