Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
GiveBack program for 4H
Limestone County 4H is participating in the Ruby Tuesday GiveBack program on Wednesday. Present the Ruby Tuesday flyer or mention 4H if dining in or picking up takeout at their 21366 Athens Limestone Lane location on April 24 for 4H to receive 20 percent of the payment for your total purchase.
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Thursday, April 25, in the art room at Owens Elementary School, 21465 Alabama 99. Each donor receives a T-shirt. Owens students who recruit blood donors receive a youth-size T-shirt.
Best Buckin’ BBQ Contest will be held Friday and Saturday at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena on Alabama 99. Proceeds benefit Boys & Girls Club and Children’s Advocacy Center. Full details at http://www.barbecuecontest.org/
Cars & Bikes on Square
Vintage and specialized vehicles, entertainment, shopping and eating downtown are all available at Cars & Bikes on The Square Saturday in downtown Athens. There is a $20 fee for participants. A $5 donation to Athens Relay for Life gets the donor a whack at a police car with a sledgehammer. More at www.carsonthesquare.com.
The Ezell family reunion will be held from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday at Joe Wheeler State Park’s Shelter No. 3. Contact: Tom Dawes 256-998-7370.
The 2nd Annual CASA Poker Run will begin at 11:45 a.m. Saturday, April 27 at Athens Country Club. Registration begins at 10 a.m. and is $15 per person. Contact: 256-278-6151.
The Athens State Community Band 10th Annual Spring Concert will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 28, in the gymnasium at Athens State University. The concert is free to the public. Contact: 256-233-8296.
AHS Class of ’68 reunion
The 45-year reunion of the Athens High School Class of 1968 will be held Saturday, May 25 at Yesterday’s Event Center. Class members and friends who have not received invitations may contact Lakin Collins at 256-232-3498 (day) or 256-232-8962 (night).
KALB auction items needed
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful is accepting donated items for a live auction to raise funds for KALB programs. Needed items include artwork, tools, furniture, toys and games, working electronics, garden tools and household items. No clothing needed. Drop off at KALB during open hours at 125 East St. Contact: 256-233-8728.
• AHS ‘78 reunion. A planning meeting for the Athens High School Class of 1978 reunion will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at Southern Bridal/Event Rental, a half mile west of Walmart on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-233-4688.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Local historian Peggy Allen Towns speaks at 7 on her book “Duty Driven: The Plight of North Alabama’s African Americans during the Civil War.” Public invited. No charge.
• Tea Party Patriots. The Athens/Limestone Tea Party Patriots will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at 100 Beaty St. Public is invited. Contact: 256-232-9051 or 256-777-2526.
• Respite Night. Caregivers night out will be from 6 – 9 p.m. Friday, April 26 at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church. Make reservations by noon, April 25. Contact: 256-232-7207.
• NARFE. The NARFE Chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 27 at the Veteran’s Museum on Pryor St. in Athens. Guest speaker will be Mark Hastings. Contact: 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.