Camp Hope training
Volunteer training sessions for Camp Hope 2012 will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 2, and Sunday, May 6, at the Hospice of Limestone County office, 405 S. Marion St. Must attend one training session, be at least age 16, provide references and play well with children. Contact: Dana Pressnell 256-874-6752.
Piecemakers Quilt Guild Athens Piecemakers Quilt Guild will meet Thursday, May 3, at First Church of Athens, 17175 Lucas Ferry Road. Social time is 6:15 p.m. and the meeting begins at 7. The Gadget Lady will present a program on favorite quilting gadgets. All quilters welcome. Contact: 256-233-3113.
An American Red Cross blood drive sponsored by the Julian Newman Elementary “Newmanators” will be held from noon until 6 p.m. Friday at the school’s new gymnasium, 517 Julian Newman Drive. Goal is 100 pints. Receive a limited commemorative T-shirt.
Caregiver's Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations at 256-232-7207.
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad sixth annual Bass Tournament will begin at safe light Saturday at the Lee High Boat Ramp on U.S. 72 West. Weigh-in at 2 p.m. Early registration $75, day of $80. Contact: 256-434-6351.
The Bethel, Tenn. Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the Lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food items are being collected for the food bank.
Tanner High band fundraiser
The Tanner High Musical Yard Sale to help the school band purchase new uniforms and equipment will be held from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday at the school. Includes music and food. Donations accepted. Contact: 256-233-6682.
Coffee Call for area veterans and spouses, and sponsored by Collins Supply, will be held from 8-9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. Contacts: Sandy or Vicki 256-771-7578.
Book and bake sale
The Friends of Ardmore Public Library will sponsor a Book and Bake Sale from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday at the library. Proceeds will be used to make purchases for the library.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the library.
Tickets are on sale for the Storybook Ball where adults and children can dine with their favorite book characters from 5-7 p.m. Saturday at the Limestone County Event Center. Tickets are $20 per adult, $15 per child (under 3 free), and available at the Athens-Limestone Public Library, at www.alcpl.org and 256-232-1233.
The Limestone County NAACP will hold an ACT-SO competitive event at 6 p.m. Saturday at Beasley Center in Athens. Cost is $10. Contact: Frank Travis 256-216-5668.
WLHS reunion picnic
The West Limestone High School 15-year reunion picnic will be held from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday, May 12, at the Athens-Limestone Fitness Park beside the Wellness Center. Contact: Matt Taylor 256-431-3276 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WLHS ’55 reunion
The West Limestone High School Class of 1955 will hold a reunion from 4-8 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: Fred Robertson Jr. 256-232-7266.
Senior Citizens Prom
Seniors interesting in attending the second annual Limestone County Senior Citizens Prom on May 25 should contact Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412. One adult guest can also attend. Deadline to register is May 7.
The Owens Volunteer Fire Department door-to-door fundraiser began April 25 and continues for approximately four weeks. Donations will be used to help purchase hoses and equipment for their new firetruck.
• Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet tonight, May 1, at the chapter hall. Food at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet for lunch at 11 a.m. Wednesday, May 2, at Green Tomatoes in Ardmore, Tenn. Contact: Mary 256-729-6709.
• Fitting the Pieces. Assistive technology for children with autism will be the subject of a meeting from 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church, room 11. Public is invited. Presented by Laura Parks. Contact: Todd Tomerlin 256-431-3511.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Grave decorations. A veterans graves decoration meeting for anyone willing to help decorate veterans’ graves in Limestone County for Memorial Day will be held at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 5, at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. Contact: Bob Borden 256-867-9079 or Sandy Thompson 256-771-7578.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet Monday, May 7, at LuVici’s Restaurant on the Square. Social hour at 5:30 p.m., meeting at 6:30. No food served. Contact: Ronnie Coffman at Ronnie.email@example.com.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.