The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
ASU public meeting
A public meeting is scheduled for 6 tonight in the Athens State University Sandridge Student Center ballroom to discuss details of the proposed master’s of arts in education degree being offered by ASU and the University of North Alabama. For admission requirements for the program, visit www.una.edu/graduate.
Walking horse show
The second-annual Col. Sam Gibbons Memorial Walking Horse Show will be at 6 p.m. Friday at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Arena off Alabama 99. Tickets are $5 at the gate. Concessions will be available and handled by the AmVets organization of Athens. Half-time entertainment exhibition by Kelly Peevy and her world grand champion Friesian, named Baron, imported from the Netherlands. Contact: Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578 or email Sndy6732@gmail.com.
Teen summer reading
A teen summer reading program will be held from noon-5 p.m. Friday at Ardmore Public Library, 25836 Main St., Ardmore, Tenn. Five hours of activities geared toward reading “The Lightning Thief” by Rick Riordan. A free book will be given to the first 10 people to sign up. Pizza and movie included. Contact: Kristina Jones at 931-427-4883.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Craig family reunion
Descendants of Monroe and Adaline Craig will meet for a reunion Saturday, June 22, at Owens Senior Center off Alabama 99. Lunch served at noon.
Ardmore reading program
Ardmore Public Library, at 25836 Main St. in Ardmore, Tenn., will hold its summer reading program for children ages 12 and under at 10 a.m. for four successive Wednesdays — June 19 and 26 and July 3 and 10. A ventriloquist, puppet theater and super scientist will be featured. Contact: 931-427-4883.
• Donnell House. Membership meeting for current and prospective members of the historic Donnell House will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at 601 1/2 Clinton St. in Athens. Membership is $10 a year and used for upkeep and improvements. Casual dress. Refreshments served. Contact: Jacque Reeves at 256-509-3940 or Ida Terry at 256-232-6077.
• Breast cancer support. Breast Cancer Support Group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Guest speaker Monique Whitaker will discuss stress and its connection to illness, and also demonstrate relaxation techniques. Contact: Tammy Woodward at 256-206-6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• V.F.W. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Induction of newly elected officials and monthly meeting to follow. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6. Contact: Roxanne at 256-771-2029.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed at 7. All veterans welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• SCV. Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives in Athens. Sean Busick, associate professor of history at ASU, will speak on Confederate vice president Alexander Stephens. Public invited.
• Republican women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, June 20, at HG Grill at 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Elbert Peters, District 5 chairman of the Alabama Republican Executive Committee, will be guest speaker.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees, Chapter 1480, will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, June 22, at the Veterans Museum and Archives on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Melinda Dugger of Dugger’s Florist. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.