The News Courier
• Bible camp. Members of James Chapel M.B. Church will hold vacation Bible school from 5-7 p.m. each Sunday in June with the theme “Night Under the Stars.” Programs include Serve Family, Serve Friends, Serve Neighbors, Serve Community and Serve Jesus.
• Convention. The 75th annual session of the Round Island Creek Missionary Baptist Association Junior Missionary Convention will be held Friday and Saturday, June 21-22, at 13829 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Events include the president’s annual address, scholarship presentations, a Bible Bowl and election of officers. Contact: Imogene Malone 256-232-6247.
• Barbecue sale. The Knights of Columbus John Conlon Memorial Barbecue Sale will be held from 3-6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 22, at the Saint Paul Catholic Church Fellowship Hall on U.S. 72 West. Pork butts, $30; rack of ribs, $22; and pork plate, $7. Call or text Henry Steedley with preorders by Tuesday, June 18, at 256-278-5527.
• VBS. Coxey Church of Christ on U.S. 72 at New Cut Road, west of Athens, will hold a one-day vacation Bible school from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, June 22. Registration begins at 8 a.m. Theme is “Bible Stories Under the Big Top.” Event features outdoor activities, including an inflatable, lunch, snacks, stories about Daniel the lion tamer, Doracs the woman raised from the dead, Samson the strong man and the woman known as the witch of Endor. Contact: email@example.com.
• Pastor anniversary. Peace Missionary Baptist Church at 1214 Plainview Circle in Athens will hold an anniversary celebration for Pastor J.E. Turnbore at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, June 23. Guest speakers include elder Kenneth Owens and the St. Mark P.B. Church family.
• Ushers Appreciation Day. St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church at 10081 Snake Road, Athens, will host Ushers Appreciation Day at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 23, at the church. Special guest will be elder Joe Cater and Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church from Greenbriar. Contact: 256-232-6170.
• Men’s Day. Village View United Methodist men invite the public to their annual Men’s Day celebration at 3 p.m. Sunday, June 23, at the church on the corner of South Hine and Plato Jones. Guest churches from Decatur and Tanner will provide the sermon and musical selections.
• Impressionist. Elk River Baptist Church will host a night of entertainment featuring impressionist Michael Kelley at 6 p.m. Sunday, June 23. Kelley’s 50-plus impressions include Kermit the Frog, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and Bill Clinton. The free concert will include a love offering.
• VBS. West Highland Baptist Church will hold vacation Bible school from 9 a.m.-noon June 24-28 for children in preschool through sixth grade. For more information, call 256-232-3397.
• Benefit singing. Athens Church of God at the intersection of West Hobbs Street and Lucas Ferry Road will host the “It Only Takes a Spark – Pass it On” benefit singing from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, June 29. No admission charge but donations will be accepted for Athens-Limestone Cancer Fund, Food Bank and LCCI. Contact: 256-232-9021 or 431-9299.
• Concert. The public is invited to attend a reunion concert of the former Sweet Home Chancellor Choir to be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 29, at the New Life Church, 2314 S. Hine St. in Athens. The choir performs for the first time in almost 15 years. New Life will also host the 13th Appreciation of Pastor Antoyne L. Green and family during its Worship Celebration at 9 a.m. Sunday, June 30, with guest preacher John W. Jude of Pleasant Grove Church in Athens.
• Appreciation service. Round Island Creek Missionary Baptist Association will hold an appreciation service for moderator Damon Betts at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, June 30, at the Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. A banquet will follow for which a ticket is required. Contact: 256-233-3032. A mortgage burning ceremony will also be held at the service.
Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a fax to 256-233-7753.