Lunch proceeds donated
The owner of Asian Cuisine Restaurant in the French Farms Shopping Center will donate all proceeds from lunch Wednesday to the American Red Cross earmarked for the Clements area.
Vietnam Veterans of America at 17915 W. Elm St. will hold a yard sale fundraiser Friday and Saturday to help local veterans and their families in need. Seller spaces are $10 each with 80 spots available. Sell what you want. More information: 256-206-5399 or 777-3339.
The Limestone County NAACP free motivational reading program for children ages 3-13 will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Lunch and transportation provided. Registration information: 256-216-5668.
Food certificate training
ASU Center for Lifelong Learning will offer a ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certificate class from 8 a.m. To 5 p.m. May 19. The cost is $175, which includes textbooks and exam. Register by May 12 and receive a $10 discount. Call 256-233-8260 or go online to www.athens.edu/cll to register.
Veterans employment workshop
Area veterans can learn how to apply for federal and state jobs at workshops held the first Monday of each month. Next scheduled workshops are at 1:30 p.m. on June 2 and July 7 at Decatur Alabama Career Center. Space is limited. Call 256-355-0142 to reserve a seat.
B&G Club summer program
Registration is underway for the Boys & Girls Club of Athens summer program, which runs June 2 through Aug. 1. Hours will be 9-5 with early birds starting at 7. Tuition is $35 a week with lunch included. Teens attend free. CMA accepted. There is a $20 application fee. Register at the club, 1017 W. Washington St. Contacts: Kristi or Pete 256-232-4298.
• Johnson. Decoration day is Saturday, May 10. Business meeting at 2 p.m. Located off Alabama 251. Turn on Johnson Lane from 251 and then on Johnson Cemetery Road. Donations accepted. More information: 256-423-6384.
• Oneal. Decoration is Saturday, May 10. If unable to attend, donations made out to Oneal Cemetery can be sent to: Charlotte Bates, 10576 U.S. 72, Athens, AL 35611.
• Wesley Chapel. Cleanup starts at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 10. Participants are asked to bring rakes, trash bags, mowers, weed trimmers, etc., and remove old flowers and trash. If unable to attend, donations made out to Wesley Chapel Cemetery Fund can be sent to: Jane Tucker, 19430 Sharp Road, Athens, AL 35613.
• Dement. Decoration day is Saturday, May 10. Business meeting at 10 a.m. If unable to attend, donations made out to Dement Cemetery can be sent to: Linda Gordon, 17170 Sledge Road, Athens, AL 35611.
• Sunny Hill. Decoration and cleanup day is 9 a.m. Until noon Saturday, May 10. If unable to attend, donations made out to Sunny Hill Cemetery can be sent to: Mahlon Nixon, 17232 Blackburn Road, Athens, AL 35611. More information: 256-232-8508.
Spencer Black Fun Run
The fourth annual Spencer Black 5K and 1-mile Fun Run set for 8:30 a.m. May 10 at Blue Springs Elementary School is canceled. It will be rescheduled at a later date.
• VVA. Vietnam Veterans Gary Elmore Chapter 511 potluck is 6-7 p.m., followed by a meeting at 8 tonight, May 6. Post is at 17915 W. Elm St. Spouses welcome. Contact: 256-206-5399
• AHS Class of '56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, May 7, at Fried Tomato Buffet in Ardmore. More information: Betty 256-777-0516.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of Daughters of American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 10, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.