Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. today at the library, 405 E. South St. More information: 256-232-1233.
Boy Scout Roundup
The public is invited to Boy Scout Troop 24's Roundup at 7 tonight at Friendship Methodist Church. Dutch oven peach cobbler and refreshments will be served. Activities include a demonstration of Scout activities, games, an ax yard and a campfire. More information: 256-874-0431.
A music night to raise funds to help veterans will be held 7-9 p.m. on May 15, 22 and 29 at Vietnam Veterans Gary Lemore chapter 511, 17915 W. Elm St. There is a $3 charge with music by Shady O' Grady that includes oldies, doo-wop, country and more. Bring your own finger foods.
Singing on Square
Athens-Limestone County Tourism Association will present a free Singing on the Square Concert Friday on the east side of the courthouse. Tilford Sellers and the Wagon Burners will entertain from 6-8 p.m. Register for a folding bag-chair giveaway. The event is sponsored by Champion Chevrolet.
Two pounds of pinto beans and 3 pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and while supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, May 17, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked, no names taken.
Troop 221 yard sale
Boy Scout Troop 221 is hosting a fundraising yard sale from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. Saturday at Alabama 99 and Easter Ferry Road. The troop is accepting donations of items. For pick up, call Michael McLemore at 256-431-6545 and Richard Day at 256-77-2771.
Yard sale fundraiser
The Oxford Healthcare Benefit Yard Sale and Craft Faire is 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday in the field behind Oxford Healthcare or inside if raining. Vendors are welcome. Donated items can be dropped off at 802 U.S. 72 West, Suite B in Athens. Call for pickup or more information on items needed at 256-233-0466. Proceeds go to area low-income elderly and disabled citizens.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program dedicated to improve reading skills of children ages 5 and older is 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier and a registered R.E.A.D. dog. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Anderson Founder's Day
The second annual Anderson Founder's Day event is 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Saturday at the downtown field on Highway 207. Food, vendors, crafts, car shows, live music and fireworks to close the evening. More details at Facebook.com/town of Anderson or at 256-247-3617.
B&G Club summer program
Registration is underway for the Boys & Girls Club of Athens summer program, which runs June 2 through Aug. 1. Hours will be 9-5 with early birds starting at 7. Tuition is $35 a week with lunch included. Teens attend free. CMA accepted. There is a $20 application fee. Register at the club, 1017 W. Washington St. Contacts: Kristi or Pete 256-232-4298.
Spring Garden Tour
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library Tour is from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, June 7. Tickets, at $20 each, are available until June 6 on The Square at Crawford's, Pablo's, Pimento's, Trinity's, Athens-Limestone Public Library and from members of Friends of the Library. Tickets will be available June 7 at Pablo's and at the library.
McLin family reunion
Descendents of Richard McLin Sr. and Polly Sandifer McLin are invited to attend the McLin family reunion July 25-27 in Athens. More information: Bernice Robinson 256-232-9228 or Dorothy Shoulders 232-8035.
• Fielding. Decoration begins at 9 a.m. Saturday. If unable to attend, send donations made out to Fielding Cemetery to: Mae Todd, 19817 Yarbrough Road, Athens, AL 35613.
• Gatlin. Decoration days are May 17-18 at the cemetery on Stateline Road in Ardmore. If unable to attend, donations can be made at Peoples State Bank on Main Street in Ardmore.
• Sylone. Decoration day is Sunday, May 18. Donations for upkeep are welcome. More information: 256-732-3994.
• Limestone Church. Cemetery decoration day is Sunday, May 18. Short meeting and a storm damage discussion will be at 2 p.m. Any objects hindering cemetery maintenance will be removed. If unable to attend, send donations made out to Limestone Church Cemetery to: Robert Evans, 14919 Reid Road, Athens, AL 35611.
• Cancer survivors support. The cancer survivors support group will meet at 6 tonight, May 13, at Catfish Cabin on U.S. 72. Survivors, caregivers and friends are invited.
• AGC. The Athens Garden Club will hold its final meeting of the season on Wednesday, May 14, at Tanner Baptist Church. Business meeting and collection of club dues at 9:30 a.m., with a covered-dish lunch to follow at 11. College scholarship winners will receive their awards.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 15, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. Speaker Tom McDaniel of Tom's Busy Bees will talk about benefits of honey and beekeeping. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans monthly meeting is 6 p.m. Thursday, May 15, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 15, at Catfish Cabin II on U.S. 72. Guest speaker is Parker Griffith.
• Positive Look. Positive Look support group for the blind, visually impaired and their families and friends meet 10 a.m. to noon Friday, May 16, at Athens Recreation Center. Speaker Jimmy Stroud of Limestone Chapel Funeral Home will talk about making funeral arrangements. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• EHS Class of '58. Elkmont High School Class of 1958 will meet for the 56th Anniversary Dutch-Treat Dinner at 5 p.m. Friday, May 16, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 East. More information: 256-232-7590.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.