Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP executive (6:30 p.m.) and general membership (7:30 p.m.) meetings will be held Monday, Feb. 18, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Friends of Archives. The Friends of the Archives quarterly meeting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. (the green, former train depot). Members and public invited. Contact: 256-233-6404 or email@example.com.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Susie Adams, licensed and certified lymphedema and massage therapist. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Historian, and Senior Military Instructor Ed Kennedy will give a talk on black Confederate soldiers. Public invited.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be attorney R. Garry Clem. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. February project is to make chisels from 5160 steel. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.