Hunt, raffle and stew
A benefit coon hunt, raffle and chicken stew for Kyle Crouch, who has muscular dystrophy will be held Saturday at the North Alabama Coon Hunters Association, 33656 Alabama 99 in Anderson at the Goodsprings community. Hunt fee is $10 per person. Stew will be ready by 11 a.m. Raffle is for a 22 rifle. More details available through Eugene Blakely (coon hunt entries) 256-431-3273, Mark Jones 256-509-4064 and Charlie McMeans 256-431-9618.
The Limestone County Farmer’s Federation is holding a nonperishable food drive Feb. 18-22 in observance of Food Check Out Week. Drop off items between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at any ALFA Insurance office in Limestone County and on Main Street in Ardmore.
Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
• Friends of Archives. The Friends of the Archives quarterly meeting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. (the green, former train depot). Members and public invited. Contact: 256-233-6404 or email@example.com.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Susie Adams, licensed and certified lymphedema and massage therapist. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Historian, and Senior Military Instructor Ed Kennedy will give a talk on African American Confederate soldiers. Public invited.
• Limestone County Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21 at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Dinner will be potluck. The Public is invited to attend.