The News Courier
Cars & Bikes on The Square
Vintage and specialized vehicles, entertainment, shopping and eating downtown are all available from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. today at Cars & Bikes on The Square Saturday in downtown Athens. There is a $20 fee for participants. A $5 donation to Athens Relay for Life gets the donor a whack at a police car with a sledgehammer. More at www.carsonthesquare.com.
Best Buckin’ BBQ Contest continues today at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena on Alabama 99. Proceeds benefit Boys & Girls Club and Children’s Advocacy Center. Full details at http://www.barbecuecontest.org/
The Ezell family reunion will be held from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. today at Joe Wheeler State Park’s Shelter No. 3. Contact: Tom Dawes 256-998-7370.
The second annual CASA Poker Run will begin at 11:45 a.m. today at Athens Country Club. Registration begins at 10 a.m. and is $15 per person. Contact: 256-278-6151.
Confederate memorial service
The Joseph E Johnston chapter 198, United Daughters of the Confederacy, will hold its annual memorial service at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Confederate Circle at Athens City Cemetery. The public is invited. Contact: Linda Watson 256-232-8209.
The Athens State Community Band 10th annual Spring Concert will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday in the Athens State University gymnasium. The concert is free to the public. Contact: 256-233-8296.
Boy Scouts breakfast
The Boy Scouts Community Breakfast fundraiser will be held at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Beasley Center in Athens. Individual seats are $75 and tables are $500. Guest speaker is UNA football coach Bobby Wallace. The Heart of an Eagle Award will be presented to several area organizations. Reservations contact: Holly Hollman 256-262-1399.
Jessica Elkins Fun Run
The Jessica Elkins Fun Run and free vaccination clinic will be held at 4 p.m. Thursday at Cowart Elementary School at 1701 W. Hobbs St. Clinic is for ages 11 to 21. Fun Run participants will be hit with water guns and paint and should bring goggles, old T-shirt and towel.
AHS Class of ’68 reunion
The 45-year reunion of the Athens High School Class of 1968 will be held Saturday, May 25, at Yesterday’s Event Center. Class members and friends who have not received invitations may contact Lakin Collins at 256-232-3498 (day) or 256-232-8962 (night).
KALB auction items needed
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful is accepting donated items for a live auction to raise funds for KALB programs. Artwork, tools, furniture, toys and games, working electronics, garden tools and household items are needed. No clothing. Drop off at KALB during open hours at 125 East St. Contact: 256-233-8728.
The Athens High School Greenhouse is open from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays. All hanging baskets are $8. Vegetables are $1.50 per six-pack. Macho ferns are $5. Assorted plants available.
• Johnston Cemetery on Mooresville Road is requesting funds for upkeep. Donations can be sent to: Marjorie Pepper, 27191 Capshaw Road, Athens, AL 35613.
• Bethel Cemetery on U.S. 72 East requests all items be removed from graves by May 1 for beginning of mowing season. Saddles and connected vases are allowed to remain.
• NARFE. The NARFE Chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. today, April 27, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Guest speaker will be Mark Hastings. Contact: 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. today, April 27, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Guest speaker and open forge meeting scheduled. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862.
• Singles of North Alabama. Monthly meeting is at 6 tonight, April 27, at the church pavilion at 14435 Seven Mile Post Road. Bring covered dish. The Christian movie “A Night With the King” will be shown. No charge.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, April 29, at First Baptist Church Family Life Center. Door prizes, speakers, entertainment, covered dish optional. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• AHS Class of ’56. The Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Fried Tomato Buffet in Ardmore, Tenn., for a Dutch-treat lunch. Contact: Betty Richardson 256-777-0516.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.