The News Courier
Center for Lifelong Learning presents the Athens State Community Chorus Spring Concert at 7:30 p.m., Thursday at the Athens-Limestone Senior Center at 912 W. Pryor St.
The concert is free to the public. No reservations are required.
Bean supper fundraiser for Athens Senior Center will be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday at 912 W. Pryor St. Cost is $5 to dine in or for carryouts. Menu: Pinto or white beans, kraut with wieners, stewed potatoes, cornbread, dessert and drink. Contact: Regina Emerson at 256-233-6412.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
The public is invited to a dance at 7 p.m. Friday at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Cobb the disc jockey will spin records. Free. Contact: Justin 256-431-7887 or 729-6077.
Mother’s Day special
The Athens High School greenhouse Mother’s Day special will be available from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday. Ferns 2 for $10 and 2 for $15, and Macho ferns for $5.
Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend a free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road, Athens. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration/information: 256-216-5668.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
• O’Neal Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. People who cannot attend, please send donations to Charlotte Bates, 10576 U.S. 72, Athens, AL 35611.
• Sylone Cemetery. Workday at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11. Decoration is Sunday, May 19. Contact: 256-206-0196.
• Johnson Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. Business meeting at 2 p.m. Take Alabama 251, turn on Johnson Lane and again at Johnson Cemetery Road.
• Dement Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. Business meeting at 10 a.m. Send upkeep contributions to Linda Gordon, 17170 Sledge Road, Athens, AL 35611.
• Sunny Hill Cemetery. Decoration and cleanup day is from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday, May 11. Upkeep donations can be sent to: Mahlon Nixon, 17232 Blackburn Road, Athens, AL 35611.
Rodeo queen luncheon
Tickets now available for Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo Queen Pageant luncheon at noon Saturday, May 18, at Central Church of Christ Family Life Center near U.S. 31/Alabama 251 intersection. Tickets must be purchased for $20 in advance. Contact: Jennifer McBay at 256-216-5029.
Rescue squad sale items
Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad needs garage-sale items for June 7-8 fundraiser. No livestock or pets. Call to arrange pickups. Contact: Mike at 256-431-7734.
Senior exercise program
Silver Sneakers FLEX program to get fit and make friends is being held from 8:30-9:15 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor St., Athens. Information: 256-233-6412.
• Vietnam veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America, chapter 511, will meet tonight, May 7, at the chapter hall at 17915 W. Elm St., Athens. Board meeting at 6 p.m., pizza at 6:30 and regular meeting at 7. All Vietnam-era DD-214 verified veterans are invited.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 8, at First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Agenda includes 2013-14 officers installation, high school scholarship winner presentation and plant and bake sale recap. Refreshments follow.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 9, at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Potluck dinner will be followed by cake auction. Speaker is Leanne Townsend of Alabama Democratic Majority. Public invited.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at H&G Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, May 14, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.