The News Courier
Bean supper fundraiser for Athens Senior Center will be held from 5-7 p.m. today at 912 W. Pryor St. Cost is $5 to dine in or for carryouts. Menu: Pinto or white beans, kraut with wieners, stewed potatoes, cornbread, dessert and drink. Contact: Regina Emerson at 256-233-6412.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 tonight at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Contact: 256-232-7207.
The public is invited to a dance at 7 tonight at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Cobb the disc jockey will spin records. Free. Contact: Justin 256-431-7887 or 729-6077.
Mother’s Day special
The Athens High School greenhouse Mother’s Day special will be available from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday. Ferns 2 for $10 and 2 for $15, and Macho ferns for $5.
Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend a free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road, Athens. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration/information: 256-216-5668.
Mother’s Day Pow Wow
The Larry Woods Memorial Mother’s Day Pow Wow will begin at 10 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12, at John Barnes Park in Ardmore, Tenn. Event includes American drumming, dancing, flute music, native food, arts and crafts. Mothers will be honored at 2 p.m. Sunday. Free admission.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
• O’Neal Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. People who cannot attend, please send donations to Charlotte Bates, 10576 U.S. 72, Athens, AL 35611.
• Sylone Cemetery. Workday at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11. Decoration is Sunday, May 19. Contact: 256-206-0196.
• Wesley Chapel Cemetery. Cleanup day begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11. Participants are asked to bring mowers, rakes, weed trimmers and trash bags. Donations are requested and can include the cemetery grass. Rain date is May 18. Contact: Jane Tucker 256-431-1338.
• Johnson Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. Business meeting at 2 p.m. Take Alabama 251, turn on Johnson Lane and again at Johnson Cemetery Road.
• Dement Cemetery. Decoration day is Saturday, May 11. Business meeting at 10 a.m. Send upkeep contributions to Linda Gordon, 17170 Sledge Road, Athens, AL 35611.
• Sunny Hill Cemetery. Decoration and cleanup day is from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday, May 11. Upkeep donations can be sent to: Mahlon Nixon, 17232 Blackburn Road, Athens, AL 35611.
Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo activities
• Rodeo queen luncheon. Tickets at $20 are now available. Event will be held at noon Saturday, May 18, at Central Church of Christ Family Life Center near U.S. 31/Alabama 251 intersection. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Contact: Jennifer McBay at 256-216-5029.
• Parade. Line-up begins at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 11 at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Parade begins at 2. Contact: Sheriff’s Office 256-232-0111.
• Street dance. The street dance and western fashion show will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 14, on The Square in downtown Athens. Contact: Sheriff’s Office 256-232-0111.
Rescue squad sale items
Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad needs garage-sale items for June 7-8 fundraiser. No livestock or pets. Call to arrange pickups. Contact: Mike at 256-431-7734.
Owens VFD fundraiser
A door-to-door fund/picture drive is being conducted by the Owens Volunteer Fire Department. It began May 6 and will last approximately four weeks. Donations go toward reworking the Station 2 parking lot.
Senior exercise program
Silver Sneakers FLEX program to get fit and make friends is being held from 8:30-9:15 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor St., Athens. Information: 256-233-6412.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at First Presbyterian Church. Mary Maiorano of the Hunt’s Spring chapter will install officers for 2013-2015. Contact: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733. Public invited.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Monday, May 13, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Limestone Ladies. Limestone Ladies will meet at noon Tuesday, May 14, at HG Grill on U.S. 72. Limestone Chapel Funeral home will provide a complimentary lunch and talk about “The Importance of Pre-Planning.”
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 14, at Shoney’s. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, May 14, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Jackie Jackson with Athens Rehabilitation and SeniorCare. Public invited.
• Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Contact: Roxanne 256-771-2029.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet at 5:45 p.m. for dinner and 6:30 for a meeting Thursday, May 16, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 next to Taco Bell. Guest speaker will be Pastor Pat Lawrence from Berea Baptist Church.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Dr. Pete Sparks will speak on “The Burning of Guntersville.” Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.