The News Courier
• Cookout/Gospel meeting. Westside Church of Christ at 25704 Smithfield Road in Elkmont is holding a gospel meeting at 10 a.m. today, May 19.
• Guest speaker. Phil Savage will be the guest speaker at the 10:30 a.m. worship service today, May 19, at FBC Tanner. Savage is president of the Senior Bowl, current player personnel executive for the Philadelphia Eagles, former general manager for the Cleveland Browns and current color commentator for the Crimson Tide Sports Network.
• Youth Day. The Greater Hope M.B. Church, located at 14065 Lucas Ferry Road, will hold Youth Day at 11 a.m. today, May 19. Guest speaker is the Rev. Darrell Green, associate of Macedonia P.B. Church. The song service features the Greater Hope young adult choir.
• Benefit. A benefit for Pastor Doug Colwell will be held from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday, May 25, at Church of Living God on Sandlin Road in Elkmont. Auction at 1:30 p.m. Barbecue chicken plates with two sides, dessert and drink for $7. Preorders available. Contact: Amanda Nafe 256-497-1460.
• Anniversary. Peace Missionary Baptist Church at 1214 Plainview Circle in Athens will hold a church anniversary banquet at 6 p.m. Saturday, May 25, at RICMB Association Mission Center, and worship services at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 26, with guest speakers. Public is invited.
• Anniversary. St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church at 10081 Snake Road in Athens invites the public to attend its 148th church anniversary at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 26, with guest pastor and church. More information: Levonia Jones 256-651-9853 or church office 256-729-1705.
• Garden Party. May 31 is the deadline to purchase tickets for the eighth annual Hearts and Hands Knitting Ministry Garden Party luncheon to be held at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, June 6, at the First United Methodist Church Beasley Center in Athens. The speaker will be author Kelly Kazek. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at 256-232-2020.
Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to email@example.com or a fax to 256-233-7753.