Women’s Build workshops
Habitat for Humanity Women’s Build workshops will have a power tools workshop tonight and a paint and trim workshop Wednesday, both from 6-7 p.m. at Lowe’s in Athens. Any women who want to attend should contact Amanda Garlen with Habitat for Humanity at 256-230-6001.
Boy Scouts breakfast
The Boy Scouts community breakfast fundraiser will be at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Beasley Center in Athens. Seats are $75 and tables are $500. Guest speaker is University of North Alabama football coach Bobby Wallace. The Heart of an Eagle Award will be presented to several area organizations. Reservations contact: Holly Hollman 256-262-1399.
Jessica Elkins run
The Jessica Elkins Fun Run and free meningitis vaccination clinic will be at 4 p.m. Thursday at Cowart Elementary School at 1701 W. Hobbs St., Athens. The clinic is for ages 11 to 21. Fun Run participants will be hit with water guns and paint and should bring goggles, old T-shirt and towel.
DHR blood drive
Limestone County Department of Human Resources will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday at the DHR office at 1007 W. Market St. in Athens. You may schedule and appointment online at www.redcrossblood.org and search for the DHR drive.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road, Athens. Make reservations by noon Thursday, May 2, at 256-232-7207.
The public is invited to a dance at 7 p.m. Friday at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Cobb the disc jockey will be spinning records. Free. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
Bethel, Tenn., Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the lodge. Public invited. Nonperishable foods are being collected for the food bank.
AHS Class of ’68 reunion
The 45-year reunion of Athens High School Class of 1968 will be held Saturday, May 25, at Yesterday’s Event Center in Athens. Class members and friends who have not received invitations may contact Lakin Collins at 256-232-3498 (day) or 256-232-8962 (night).
Cook, sew, quilt contest
Limestone County Farmers Federation will hold its annual cooking, sewing and quilting contest Tuesday, May 7, at ALFA office at 524 U.S. 72 West. Drop off items between 9-9:30 a.m. Must be member of Alabama Farmers Federation to enter. Cash prizes. Complete rules available at ALFA office. Contact: 256-350-1875.
Within the next few weeks, The Council on Aging will hold a safe-driving course for anyone age 60 or older in the coming weeks. The one-day course, which could lower a driver’s insurance rate, will cost $12 for members of American Association of Retired Persons and $14 for non-members. Course would show drivers how to be safe on the road. Call Emily at 256-233-6412 to leave contact information to be called when course date set.
Athens High School greenhouse is open from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays. All hanging baskets are $8. Vegetables are $1.50 per six-pack. Macho ferns are $5. Assorted plants available.
• Johnston Cemetery on Mooresville Road is requesting funds for upkeep. Donations may be mailed to: Marjorie Pepper, 27191 Capshaw Road, Athens, AL 35613.
• Bethel Cemetery on U.S. 72 East requests all items be removed from graves by May 1 for start of mowing season. Saddles and connected vases may remain.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Fried Tomato Buffet in Ardmore, Tenn., for a Dutch-treat lunch. Contact: Betty Richardson at 256-777-0516.
• Legion Auxiliary. American Legion Post 49 Ladies Auxiliary will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at the post at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman at 256-233-3023.
• City Council. Athens City Council will hold its next work session and meeting at 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. respectively Monday, May 6, in the municipal courtroom of Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.