AHS Class of ’68 reunion
The 45-year reunion of Athens High School Class of 1968 will be held Saturday, May 25, at Yesterday’s Event Center in Athens. Class members and friends who have not received invitations may contact Lakin Collins at 256-232-3498 (day) or 256-232-8962 (night).
Cook, sew, quilt contest
Limestone County Farmers Federation will hold its annual cooking, sewing and quilting contest Tuesday, May 7, at ALFA office at 524 U.S. 72 West. Drop off items between 9-9:30 a.m. Must be member of Alabama Farmers Federation to enter. Cash prizes. Complete rules available at ALFA office. Contact: 256-350-1875.
Within the next few weeks, The Council on Aging will hold a safe-driving course for anyone age 60 or older in the coming weeks. The one-day course, which could lower a driver’s insurance rate, will cost $12 for members of American Association of Retired Persons and $14 for non-members. Course would show drivers how to be safe on the road. Call Emily at 256-233-6412 to leave contact information to be called when course date set.
Athens High School greenhouse is open from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays. All hanging baskets are $8. Vegetables are $1.50 per six-pack. Macho ferns are $5. Assorted plants available.
• Johnston Cemetery on Mooresville Road is requesting funds for upkeep. Donations may be mailed to: Marjorie Pepper, 27191 Capshaw Road, Athens, AL 35613.
• Bethel Cemetery on U.S. 72 East requests all items be removed from graves by May 1 for start of mowing season. Saddles and connected vases may remain.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Fried Tomato Buffet in Ardmore, Tenn., for a Dutch-treat lunch. Contact: Betty Richardson at 256-777-0516.
• Legion Auxiliary. American Legion Post 49 Ladies Auxiliary will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at the post at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman at 256-233-3023.
• City Council. Athens City Council will hold its next work session and meeting at 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. respectively Monday, May 6, in the municipal courtroom of Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.