The News Courier
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will host speaker Dr. Robert Sandlin between 10 a.m. and noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Martha Thornton 256-232-1919.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, May 16, at 256-232-7207.
Limestone County Sheriff’s 31st Annual Rodeo is Friday, May 17, at the Rodeo Arena on Alabama 99 in Athens. Gates open at 6 p.m. Rodeo at 8 p.m. Advance tickets or purchase at gate. For more information, go online to www.limestonesheriffrodeo.com. Contact: Limestone Sheriff’s Office at 256-232-0111
Hosta Society of North Alabama will hold a hosta sale from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday in the Murray Hill parking lot of the Huntsville Botanical Garden at 4747 Bob Wallace Ave. in Huntsville. A hosta show will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the education room of the garden’s visitor’s center. Free to the public. Entrance fee to the garden not required for either event.
The town of Anderson Founder’s Day begins at 11 a.m. Saturday. Events include classic car show, craft show, children’s entertainment area, laser tag, horseshoe tournament and children’s entertainment area with inflatables, carnival games and more. Food vendors. Live music by two bands at 4 p.m. at the elementary school football field on Highway 207.
Rodeo queen luncheon
Tickets at $20 are now available for the Rodeo queen luncheon to be held at noon Saturday at Central Church of Christ Family Life Center near U.S. 31/Alabama 251 intersection. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Contact: Jennifer McBay at 256-216-5029.
Limestone County Sheriff’s 31st Annual Rodeo is Saturday, May 18, at the Rodeo Arena on Alabama 99 in Athens. Gates open at 6 p.m. Rodeo at 8 p.m. Advance tickets or purchase at gate. For more information, go online to www.limestonesheriffrodeo.com. Contact: Limestone Sheriff’s Office at 256-232-0111
North Border Lodge at Salem, located on Salem Field Lane, will hold a country-style breakfast from 7-9 a.m. Saturday, May 19. Public is invited. Contact: Mickey Robertson at 256-232-2335 or 256-206-2242
30th anniversary celebration
Athens-Limestone Emergency Food and Shelter, located at 20086 Swanner Blvd. in Tanner, will celebrate its 30th anniversary at a community party from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday, May 18. Events include large yard sale, health screenings and free food beginning at noon.
Limestone Church Cemetery Decoration
Limestone Church Cemetery Decoration Day is at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 19. Organizers ask that those who cannot attend send donations for upkeep to: Robert Evans, 14919 Reid Road, Athens, AL 35611. Any objects hindering maintenance of cemetery will be removed.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Rescue squad sale items
Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad needs garage-sale items for June 7-8 fundraiser. No livestock or pets. Call to arrange pickups. Contact: Mike at 256-431-7734.
Owens VFD fundraiser
A door-to-door fund/picture drive is being conducted by the Owens Volunteer Fire Department. It began May 6 and will last approximately four weeks. Donations go toward reworking the Station 2 parking lot.
Senior exercise program
Silver Sneakers FLEX program to get fit and make friends is being held from 8:30-9:15 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor St., Athens. Information: 256-233-6412.
AHS Class of ’68 reunion
The 45-year reunion of Athens High School Class of 1968 will be held Saturday, May 25, at Yesterday’s Event Center in Athens. Class members and friends who have not received invitations may contact Lakin Collins at 256-232-3498 (day) or 256-232-8962 (night).
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Jackie Jackson with Athens Rehabilitation and SeniorCare. Public invited.
• Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Contact: Roxanne 256-771-2029.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet at 5:45 p.m. for dinner and 6:30 for a meeting Thursday, May 16, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 next to Taco Bell. Guest speaker will be Pastor Pat Lawrence from Berea Baptist Church.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Dr. Pete Sparks will speak on “The Burning of Guntersville.” Public is invited.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.