The News Courier
Hunt, raffle and stew
A benefit coon hunt, raffle and chicken stew for Kyle Crouch, who has muscular dystrophy will be held Saturday at the North Alabama Coon Hunters Association, 33656 Alabama 99 in Anderson at the Goodsprings community. Hunt fee is $10 per person. Stew will be ready by 11 a.m. Raffle is for a 22 rifle. More details available through Eugene Blakely (coon hunt entries) 256-431-3273, Mark Jones 256-509-4064 and Charlie McMeans 256-431-9618.
Registration for 2013-2014 Athens City Schools kindergarten will be from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at the individual elementary schools from Monday, Feb. 25 through March 1. See Athens City Schools website www.acs-k12.org for registration requirements.
Tye Dye for Teens
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host Sharpie Tye Dye for Teens only from 3:30-5 p.m. Monday. Bring your own clean, white T-shirt or pillowcase. Snacks included. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 12:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Athens Bible School gymnasium, 507 S. Hoffman.
Civitan game night
Athens Ladies Civitan game night will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday at First National Bank located at the corner of U.S. 72 East and Lindsay Lane. Guests are invited for bingo, snacks and door prizes. Contact: Pat Lewis 256-232-7370 or Carol Malone 256-232-2865.
A panel discussion covering the historical, social and religious importance of the Emancipation Proclamation will be held at noon Thursday in the Athens State University parlor. This Center for Religious Studies and Ethics Table Talk session is free to the public. Feel free to bring sack lunch.
The Limestone County Farmer’s Federation is holding a nonperishable food drive through Feb. 22 in observance of Food Check-Out Week. Drop off items between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at any ALFA Insurance office in Limestone County and on Main Street in Ardmore.
Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be attorney R. Garry Clem. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. February project is to make chisels from 5160 steel. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 25, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend and find out what can be done to help loved ones. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• Soil and Water Conservation: The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation district board of supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102, Athens. The public is invited.
• Tea Party Patriots. The Athens/Limestone Tea Party Patriots will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, at 100 Beaty St. Public is invited. Contact: 256-232-9051 or 256-777-2526.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.