The News Courier
Toys for Tots signups
The U.S. Marine Corps and United Way of Athens-Limestone County will accept applications for the Toys for Tots Program from 9 a.m. until noon and 1-4 p.m. Tuesday at the United Way location, 419 S. Marion St., in Athens. For children from birth to age 12 only. Bring proof of income, birth certificates and Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency in Limestone County and photo ID. Contact: 256-233-2323.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Meet Republican candidates
Meet local Republican candidates from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Republican Headquarters, 209 Washington Street on the Square. Questions are welcome. Contact: Ronnie G. Coffman, chairman of the Limestone Republican Executive Committee at email@example.com.
Benefit yard sale
A benefit yard sale to help cover medical bills for surgery and transportation to Vanderbilt Hospital for chemotherapy treatments for Connie Thompson will begin at 7 a.m. Saturday at the corner of Reid and U.S. 72 West (Quality Vinyl) in Athens. Contact: Pam Davis 256-232-5124.
A blood drive will be held from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday at the Friendship Church multi-purpose building at 16479 Lucas Ferry Road in honor of Ava Brooke Campbell, granddaughter of Mark Gibson.
Rogersville Fall Festival
The Rogersville Fall Festival car and truck show and antique farm tractor parade will be Saturday. Registration is $25 and will be from 9 a.m. until noon. Other attractions include children’s and pet costume parades, chili cook-off, crafts vendors and more. Contact: Janna 256-247-9449 or visit www.rogersvillealabama.com for more details.
American Veterans Post 21 Ladies Auxiliary will host a chicken stew from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the Disabled American Veterans building on Airport Road in Athens. Pre-sale orders are $15 a gallon; $5 per quart at the event includes crackers, drink and dessert. Personal containers welcome. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-374-2073 or Alysha Towe 256-874-7215.
Quilt auction benefit
East Lauderdale Quilters of Rogersville are holding a quilt auction to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. The 86-by-96-inch quilt is 100-percent cotton. Bid via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 256-247-5558. Last day to bid is Oct. 31.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, Oct. 15, at the Clinton Street annex.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 15, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet Tuesday, Oct. 16, at election headquarters, 304 Green St. Social at 6 p.m. Meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is District 3 Rep. Marcel Black to discuss and debate constitutional amendments on the Nov. 6 ballot. The second presidential debate will be watched following the meeting. Public invited.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. ASU professor and historian Dr. Al Elmore speaks at 7 on the July 1862 court-martial of Union Col. John B. Turchin.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Lynne Hart, executive director of Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful. Public invited. Contact: 256-233-3367.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, at The Karaoke Center, 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Republican women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Oct. 18, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street in Athens. Social at 6 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be Roy Moore, candidate for chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court. Email plans to attend to email@example.com.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.