4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Corporate Spelling Bee
The Athens-Limestone County Learn-to-Read Council’s 18th annual Corporate Spelling Bee will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Athens High School cafeteria. Free admission to spectators. Refreshments served. Contact: 256-230-3050.
Althenstine Lodge banquet
The Althenstine Lodge No. 71 annual fellowship benefit banquet will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Round Island Creek Missionary Baptist Center on Lucas Ferry Road. Tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for children 15 and under. Guest speaker is NAACP Southeast Regional Director Kevin Miles. Contacts: Mansfield Scott 256-732-3978 or Steve Branch 256-431-0968.
Rescue Squad garage sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is in need of saleable items for an upcoming garage sale. Call to arrange pickup or drop off items at 1401 Freeman Ave. All types of items needed. Contact: J.R. Creel 256-434-6355.
Vidalia onions sale
The Athens Ladies Civitan club is taking orders for Vidalia onions. Onions are $10 for 10 pounds. Order deadline is April 12. Projected delivery date is early May. Orders taken by phone at 256-232-2865 or 256-729-1255 or mail at P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612. Mail checks by May 1 payable to ALCC. Include name, address and phone number.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Assoc. will meet at noon Monday, March 11, in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens. Denise Woodring of Green Thumb Garden Consulting and Design will speak on rain gardens and how to work with run-off and wet areas.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society support group meeting for cancer survivors and caregivers will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 East. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will meet Tuesday, March 12, at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Guest speaker is John McMillan, commissioner of Agriculture & Industries.
• Preservation. The regular meeting of the Athens Historic Preservation Commission will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, at the Public Works Department, 1600 W. Elm St.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Chris Becker with Alabama Cooperative Extension will present the program, “Garden Insects and Pests.”
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Pot luck meal served at 6 p.m. Speaker is Leanne Townsend of the Birmingham Democratic Party Headquarters. Public is invited.
• Paratroopers. The Alabama chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association invite all paratroopers, past or present, to their monthly meeting at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Outlaw Steakhouse in Guntersville. Information: http://www.yourfriends.com/vulcan82nd/
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.