The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Contact: Bob Borden 256-509-1306. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Book of Revelation study
Robbie White, director of religious studies at Athens State University, will host a study of the Book of Revelation from 6:30-8 tonight at the Center for Lifelong Learning in Athens. Free event open to public.
American Red Cross and Athens State University will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the ASU Sandridge Student Center ballroom. Bring photo ID or American Red Cross donor card. Contact: Tena Bullington at 256-233-8243.
$2 flu shots
The Limestone County Health Department will hold a drive-through seasonal flu shot clinic from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday at the Athens SportsPlex on U.S. 31 North. Cost is $2. No out-of-pocket cost if you present Medicare Part A & B Insurance card. Contact: 256-232-3200.
Athens Fire Auxiliary tournament
Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary Golf Tournament will be held Thursday at Canebrake Club. Activities begin with 11:30 a.m. lunch followed by 12:45 p.m. rules meeting and 1 p.m. shotgun start. Cost is $400 per four-person team. Mulligan package is $20 per player. Proceeds go to local charities, including Shop With a Firefighter at Christmas. To register or sponsor, call Chris Gillman at 256-874-5638 or David Andrews at 256-431-1585.
Hispanic Heritage Festival
The public is invited to the Hispanic Heritage Festival Saturday at Swan Creek in Athens. From 1-5 p.m., attendees can hear authentic music and dance. At 2 p.m., they can sample each country’s dish of Arroz Con Pollo. There will be salsa dance lessons and face painting for children. To volunteer or donate, contact Maria Taylor 256-233-0226 or MariaTaylor88@yahoo.com.
Two pounds of pinto beans and 3 pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and while supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church at 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked, no names taken.
Pleasant Grove Church family in Athens is holding a free food-box giveaway from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park. For more information, call 256-216-0660 or 256-233-5995.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program to improve the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Car and truck show
A car and truck show will be held during the fall festival Saturday in downtown Rogersville.
Korean War show
‘Korea: The Forgotten War Remember,’ a variety show fundraiser for the Alabama Veterans Museum, will be a 2 p.m. Sunday at the Senior Center on Pryor Street in Athens. Tickets are $10 each and may be purchased from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. daily at the museum at 100 W. Pryor St. A shuttle bus will pick up ticket holders at the DHR parking lot from 1-1:45 p.m.
Pancake breakfast items needed
American Legion and the Ladies Auxiliary is in need of items for their annual pancake breakfast fundraiser to be held Saturday, Oct. 26. The event helps support youth programs such as Boys State, Girls State and Legion baseball. Items needed include: pancake mix, syrup, sausage, bacon, butter, coffee, milk and orange juice. The Post home is at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens.
Blue Springs Fall Festival
Blue Springs Elementary School parent-teacher organization is accepting local and area businesses to participate as vendors in its annual fall festival to be held from 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24. Vendor spaces are $20 each. Vendors must supply own tables and chairs. Registration deadline is Friday, Oct. 18. Contact: Katrina Lecroix at 256-434-0542 for registration form.
Toys for Tots registration
Registration will be from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, at the United Way office at 419 S. Marion St. in Athens. Bring birth certificates for each child, Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency, picture ID for parent or guardian, and proof of income.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Women will eat dinner and share blessings found during the fight against breast cancer. Contact: Tammy Woodward at 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and monthly meeting at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred at 256-233-0213.
• Historical Society. Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Following a covered-dish dinner, Steve Brown of Auburn University will present the program, "The Most Prominent Man in Alabama: John McKinley and Early Alabama Politics."
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street in Athens. Speaker is Jennifer Reece, coordinator for Council on Aging. Her talk will include 2014 Medicare Part D information.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Oct. 17, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be Jerry Hill, candidate for the 5th congressional district.
• THS Class of ’67 women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Marilyn McBay’s home. Contact: 256-431-2563.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered-dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Parson Tim Morrison will speak on Forrest’s Rear Guard Action at Anthony Hill and the Cemetery at Chestnut Grove. Public invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look Support group for blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Oct. 18, at Athens Recreation Center. Sheriff Mike Blakely will be the speaker. Bring favorite dish. Contact: Wynell Reynolds at 256-232-1493.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.