Toys for Tots registration
Registration will be from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, at the United Way office at 419 S. Marion St. in Athens. Bring birth certificates for each child, Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency, picture ID for parent or guardian, and proof of income.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Women will eat dinner and share blessings found during the fight against breast cancer. Contact: Tammy Woodward at 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and monthly meeting at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred at 256-233-0213.
• Historical Society. Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6 tonight, Oct. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Following a covered-dish dinner, Steve Brown of Auburn University will present the program, "The Most Prominent Man in Alabama: John McKinley and Early Alabama Politics."
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street in Athens. Speaker is Jennifer Reece, coordinator for Council on Aging. Her talk will include 2014 Medicare Part D information.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Oct. 17, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be Jerry Hill, candidate for the 5th congressional district.
• THS Class of ’67 women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Marilyn McBay’s home. Contact: 256-431-2563.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered-dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and business will be discussed at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17, at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Parson Tim Morrison will speak on Forrest’s Rear Guard Action at Anthony Hill and the Cemetery at Chestnut Grove. Public invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look Support group for blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Oct. 18, at Athens Recreation Center. Sheriff Mike Blakely will be the speaker. Bring favorite dish. Contact: Wynell Reynolds at 256-232-1493.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.