Used book sale
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Limestone County Young Republicans are collecting candy to donate to DHR for foster children for Halloween. Donations are accepted until Oct. 22, and can be dropped off at The Bakery at Elkmont, 23925 Thach Road, Elkmont, or brought to the next monthly meeting.
Pancake breakfast items needed
The American Legion and the Ladies Auxiliary are in need of items for their annual pancake breakfast fundraiser to be held Oct. 26. The event helps support youth programs such as Boys State, Girls State and Legion baseball. Items needed include: pancake mix, syrup, sausage, bacon, butter, coffee, milk and orange juice. The Post home is at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens.
Blue Springs Fall Festival
Blue Springs Elementary School parent-teacher organization is accepting local and area businesses to participate as vendors in its annual fall festival to be held from 5-8 p.m. Oct. 24. Vendor spaces are $20 each. Vendors must supply own tables and chairs. Registration deadline is Oct. 18. Contact: Katrina Lecroix at 256-434-0542 for registration form.
Toys for Tots registration
Registration will be from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, at the United Way office at 419 S. Marion St. in Athens. Bring birth certificates for each child, Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency, picture ID for parent or guardian, and proof of income.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Oct. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street in Athens. Jennifer Reece will speak on Medicare Part D.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Oct. 17, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker will be Jerry Hill, candidate for the 5th congressional district.
• THS Class of ’67 women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 6 p.m. Oct. 17, at Marilyn McBay’s home. Contact: 256-431-2563.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Oct. 17, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered-dish dinner at 6 p.m., business meeting at 7. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Oct. 17, at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Parson Tim Morrison will speak.
• Positive Look. Positive Look Support group for blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 18, at Athens Recreation Center. Sheriff Mike Blakely will speak. Bring favorite dish. Contact: Wynell Reynolds at 256-232-1493.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will meet Oct. 21, at Old Greenbrier Barbecue . Social time at 6 p.m., dinner at 7. RSVP: Ronnie Coffman 256-206-0517.
• NAACP. NAACP general membership meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 21, at the chamber building at 101 S. Beaty St. More information: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Ladies Civitan. The Athens Ladies Civitan meeting will be at noon Oct. 22, upstairs in the South Jefferson Street Water Authority building.
• Young Republicans. Limestone County Young Republicans will meet at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 22. State School Board Rep. Mary Scott Hunter will speak. Social is at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7:30.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.