The News Courier
Ardmore book signing
The Ardmore Public Library will host a book signing at 4 p.m. today, Sept. 12, for locally born author Loretta Ekis and her book, “Southern Ways and Southern Days.”
Dog rescue fundraiser
Peace, Love and Animals will hold a yard sale to raise funds for dog rescue from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13-14, at Athens Skating Rink on U.S. 72.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon today, Sept. 12, at 256-232-7207.
The Lions Club dove hunt will be held Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14 and 15, at Dickey Hobbs Farm Sunflower-millet. Preselect spots are $30 and $20 the day of the hunt. Contact: 256-732-4304 or 256-732-4300.
Boy Scout fundraiser
Boy Scout Troop 221 will hold a car wash from 9 a.m. “until” on Saturday, Sept. 14, at Salem United Methodist Church. The event is to help raise money for 2014 summer camp.
Coupon patrol workshop
The nonprofit organization Coupon Patrol, which teaches consumers how to use coupons to best advantage, is holding a free workshop at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at Yesterdays Event Center off Browns Ferry Road in the Reid community. Attendees are being asked to bring two canned-food items to help families in need.
The Dollar family reunion will be at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, at the West Side Community Center. Attendees are asked to bring a covered dish for 12:30 p.m. lunch. More information: Betty Dollar 256-729-6042.
Legg Cemetery decoration
Legg Cemetery decoration will be Sunday, Sept. 15. Donations or upkeep may be mailed to: Delois Mason, 27359 Leggtown Road, Elkmont, AL 35620.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Veterans Museum will be held Monday, Sept. 16, at the Vietnam Veterans building on West Elm Street. Lunch is 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Supper is 5-8 p.m. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert.
Registration is underway for beginning Spanish classes to begin Monday, Sept. 16 at the Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115 in Athens. For fee information and more details call 256-230-3050.
Patient care training
Hospice of Limestone County will hold free patient-care volunteer training from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. on Tuesdays Sept. 17 and 24. Participants must attend on both Tuesdays. Preregistration is underway. To enroll or ask questions, call 256-232-5017 or visit email@example.com.
Fire department yard sale
The Clements Volunteer Fire Department is in need of donations for its annual yard sale to be held the first weekend in October. Call 256-374-8350 to have items picked up.
Candlelight vigil planning
Crisis Services will hold planning meetings at 6 p.m. each Tuesday in September for its annual Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Domestic Violence to be held Tuesday, Oct. 8 on The Square. More information: Christa 256-232-0280.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Athens Recreation Center at the intersection of U.S. 31 North and Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. More information: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Dr. Daley and Dr. Lang with HealthSource of Athens will give a presentation on nutrition. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. VFW and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the post home on North Jefferson Street. Contact: 256-233-0213.
• Cowart PTO. Cowart Elementary School will have a PTO meeting and open house beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will hold its monthly meeting Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Social hour from 6-7 p.m. Executive committee meeting at 7. Public invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.