Registration is underway for beginning Spanish classes to begin Monday, Sept. 16 at the Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115 in Athens. For fee information and more details call 256-230-3050.
Patient care training
Hospice of Limestone County will hold free patient-care volunteer training from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. on Tuesdays Sept. 17 and 24. Participants must attend on both Tuesdays. Preregistration is underway. To enroll or ask questions, call 256-232-5017 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fire department yard sale
The Clements Volunteer Fire Department is in need of donations for its annual yard sale to be held the first weekend in October. Call 256-374-8350 to have items picked up.
Candlelight vigil planning
Crisis Services will hold planning meetings at 6 p.m. each Tuesday in September for its annual Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Domestic Violence to be held Tuesday, Oct. 8 on The Square. More information: Christa 256-232-0280.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Athens Recreation Center at the intersection of U.S. 31 North and Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. More information: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Dr. Daley and Dr. Lang with HealthSource of Athens will give a presentation on nutrition. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. VFW and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the post home on North Jefferson Street. Contact: 256-233-0213.
• Cowart PTO. Cowart Elementary School will have a PTO meeting and open house beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will hold its monthly meeting Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Social hour from 6-7 p.m. Executive committee meeting at 7. Public invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.