The Limestone County NAACP free motivational reading program for children ages 3-13 will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Lunch and transportation provided. Registration information: 256-216-5668.
Women Empowering Women Inc. will hold a clothing giveaway from noon until 4 p.m. Saturday at Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park at the corner of Hine Street and Westview Avenue. The event includes a free meal. Open to the public.
The Lentzville Cemetery Committee will clean the cemetery on Saturday. Rain date is April 19. Anyone with loved ones buried there are invited to help. More information: Billy McNatt 256-232-1601.
Seniors nutrition program
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program is still open to age 60 year and older in Limestone county who meet certain income requirements. Applications are available at all area senior centers. If approved, $30 in coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables from the Athens Farmers Market will be mailed to the home after May 15.
Free guided one-hour walking tours of Athens historic districts are offered each Saturday in April. Tours begin 10 a.m. at the Athens-Limestone County Visitors Center at Big Spring Memorial Park. More information: 256-232-5411.
American Veterans Mims-Russell Post 21 at 22769 Black Road in Athens has karaoke night from 7 p.m. until midnight every Friday. There is a $5 cover charge at the door. Proceeds support local veterans and their families in need. Limited food items and refreshments available until 10:30 p.m. More information: 256-444-2793 or 444-1411.
A public sunrise service will be held at 6:30 a.m. Easter Sunday, April 20, in front of Athens State University's Waters Hall. Rain location is the “Bear Cave” in the ASU Student Union building. The service is sponsored by the Athens Limestone Ministerial Alliance.
• AGC. Athens Garden Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. today, April 9, at Tanner Baptist Church. Social begins at 9. Plans will be finalized for the April 12 Plant and Bake Sale. More information: email@example.com.
• Beekeepers. The Limestone County Beekeepers Assoc. will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 10, at Limestone County Water Authority, 17218 U.S. 72 West.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Assoc. will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, April 11, at the Athens Recreation Center. More information: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of Daughters of American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 12, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 15, with nominations and election of new officers to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.