Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church at 16230 Mooresville Road in Athens. Make reservations no later than noon Thursday by calling the RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
Phi Theta Kappa yard sale
ASU’s Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association will hold a yard sale from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday and from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, June 8, in the parking lot on Hobbs Street in Athens. Proceeds will fund scholarships and projects of the alumni association. Rain dates will be June 14-15, same times. To donate clothes, house wares, furniture or other items, send email to Kim LaFevor at firstname.lastname@example.org or George Teague at email@example.com.
Fun reading program
Limestone County NAACP will present a book club and reading program at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, June 8, at Round Island Creek Mission Center at 13829 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Free event with lunch provided. Event is for students who like to read and those who do not. Register or obtain more information at 256-216-5668.
Zumba for the Paws
Canebrake Club Fitness Center will host Zumba for the Paws — Shake, Sweat & Rescue from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 8, at Canebrake Club. The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Event includes door prizes and a parade of adoptable dogs. Proceeds go to Peace, Love and Animals no-kill shelter. Contact Keli Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org or Flo Doughty at email@example.com.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Market program ends
The Senior Farmer’s Market Program has been completed for the year. There will be no new applications taken. Applications will be available in January 2014 at the Council on Aging.
Wildlife day camps
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge will hold free day camps in June and July for children ages 8-10 and 11-13. Campers arrive at the refuge visitor center at 9 a.m. for camp and depart at 2 p.m. Camp includes, but is not limited to, scavenger hunts, bird studies, reptiles and amphibians, nature crafts and fishing. Apply insect repellant and sunscreen before arriving. Sign up children for selected dates in June and July at 256-350-6639.
• City Council. Athens City Council will hold a work session at 4 p.m. Thursday, June 6, at the Police Department on Hobbs Street. The regular meeting will follow.
• Sportsman Club. Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 6, at the clubhouse on Kennedy Road in Athens. Upcoming events and business will be discussed. Covered-dish dinner to follow. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Legion meeting. American Legion Post 49 and Ladies Auxiliary will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 6, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens.
• Quilt Guild. Athens PieceMaker’s Quilt Guild will hold a reorganizing meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 6, at Friendship United Methodist Church on Lucas Ferry Road. Contact: Marie Burgen 256-729-6000.
• Friendship Quilters. Friendship Quilters will meet at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 10, at the First Presbyterian Church’s Rogers Center. Social time begins at 9:15.
• DAV meeting. Disabled American Veterans will hold its monthly meeting with food and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at 25396 Airport Road. The business meeting will follow.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at the Tanner High School library. Anyone interested in youth or school athletics is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.