Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. today at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church at 16230 Mooresville Road in Athens.
Phi Theta Kappa yard sale
ASU’s Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association is holding a yard sale from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. today and from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, June 8, in the parking lot on Hobbs Street in Athens. Proceeds will fund scholarships and projects of the alumni association. Rain dates will be June 14-15, same times. To donate clothes, house wares, furniture or other items, send email to Kim LaFevor at firstname.lastname@example.org or George Teague at email@example.com.
Fun reading program
Limestone County NAACP will present a book club and reading program at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, June 8, at Round Island Creek Mission Center at 13829 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Free event with lunch provided. Event is for students who like to read and those who do not. Register or obtain more information at 256-216-5668.
Zumba for the Paws
Canebrake Club Fitness Center will host Zumba for the Paws — Shake, Sweat & Rescue from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 8, at Canebrake Club. The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Event includes door prizes and a parade of adoptable dogs. Proceeds go to Peace, Love and Animals no-kill shelter. Contact Keli Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org or Flo Doughty at email@example.com.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Intro to iPad class
Limestone County Schools is offering an iPad basics course taught by Karen Tucker. “Introduction to the iPad” will cover settings, downloads, using apps, saving battery life and more. Event is from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. Contact: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell at 256-233-8260.
Professor Tom Pieplow will discuss the months before the European war, which evolved into World War II, and whether Great Britain and her allies made survival decisions and took action that may have crossed ethical lines, even in wartime. The event is from 11:30 a.m. –1 p.m. Monday, June 10, at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. Contact: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell at 256-233-8260.
Poplar Creek Cemetery will hold decoration day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the cemetery on Snake Road. Refreshments available. For those who cannot attend, donations may be sent to Poplar Creek Cemetery, P.O. Box 965, Athens, AL 35612. There will be a meeting at 10 a.m.
Market program ends
The Senior Farmer’s Market Program has been completed for the year. There will be no new applications taken. Applications will be available in January 2014 at the Council on Aging.
Wildlife day camps
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge will hold free day camps in June and July for children ages 8-10 and 11-13. Campers arrive at the refuge visitor center at 9 a.m. for camp and depart at 2 p.m. Camp includes, but is not limited to, scavenger hunts, bird studies, reptiles and amphibians, nature crafts and fishing. Apply insect repellant and sunscreen before arriving. Sign up children for selected dates in June and July at 256-350-6639.
• Friendship Quilters. Friendship Quilters will meet at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 10, at the First Presbyterian Church’s Rogers Center. Social time begins at 9:15.
• DAV meeting. Disabled American Veterans will hold its monthly meeting with food and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at 25396 Airport Road. Business meeting will follow.
• Limestone Republicans. Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will dine at 6 p.m. and meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at 306 Barbecue at 23101 U.S. 72 East in Athens. State Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, will be guest speaker. Public invited. Make reservations by sending email to Ronnie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancer support. The American Cancer Society support group for survivors and caregivers will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at Shoney’s restaurant in Athens. All welcome.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at the Tanner High School library. Anyone interested in youth or school athletics is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.