The News Courier
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road.
The Knights of Columbus Council No. 13679 will have a fundraiser pancake breakfast from 8-10 a.m. Saturday at Applebee’s Athens location. Cost is $5.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Tree seedlings giveaway
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful will have a tree seedlings giveaway for Limestone County residents only at 10 a.m. Saturday at Big Spring Memorial Park in Athens to help reforest areas of Alabama hardest hit by April 2011 tornadoes. Visit KeepAthensLimestoneBeautiful.com for a list of tree species available, and an order form to print, complete, and bring to the event. Contact: KALB 256-233-8728 or KeepALBeautiful@att.net.
Singles Valentine banquet
Singles of North Alabama will hold a Valentine banquet for singles at 6 p.m. Saturday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Bring covered dish to go with barbecue. No charge. Contact: Stuart Hall 256-604-8897.
Poke Sallet tickets
Poke Sallet Follies ticket sales begin Monday at 7 a.m. at the Athens Senior Center, 912 W. Pryor Street. Tickets are $35 each, which includes a three-course meal and the show. Show dates are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 7-9 at 7 p.m. at the Center. Tickets will remain on sale at the Center from 7:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. daily. Payment by cash or check only. Tax deductible.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Professors Keller and White will lead a discussion at noon Tuesday in the Athens State University parlor that blends art and theology. On view will be the unusually large lithograph of Warner's Sallman’s “Head of Christ,” owned by the University since the early 1940s. The Center for Religious Studies and Ethics table talk session is free to the public.
The Learn to Read office in Athens is offering Conversational Spanish classes from 6:30-8 p.m. at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115. Classes begin Tuesday. A registration fee of $60 includes a textbook. Advanced Spanish classes begin Thursday, Feb. 21 at the same time. Registration fee $45 plus cost of textbook if needed. To register contact Learn to Read at 256-230-3050.
AARP safety course
The American Association of Retired Persons safe driving course will be held from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street. Cost is $12 for AARP members, $14 otherwise and includes anyone age 50 and older. No Preregistration. Bring sack lunch.
Boys & Girls Club dinner
Tickets are on sale for the 19th annual Athens Boys & Girls Club Dinner to be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Beasley Center of the First United Methodist Church. Individual tickets are $20. Sponsorship is $300 per table (seats 8) and includes recognition on the table and in the program. Live auction. Tickets available at the Club at 1017 W. Washington St. Contact: 256-232-4298. Proceeds benefit the Club.
Tax Service Counseling
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program income-tax service is being held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. every Monday and Thursday until April 15 at First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center at the corner of Pryor and Clinton streets in downtown Athens. No appointments will be given. Returns will be filed at no cost to the client. If interested, please bring tax returns from last year, Social Security numbers for each person in the household, birth dates for each person in the household, W-2 form(s) and 1099 form(s), if applicable. For more information, call Dean Morgan of RSVP at 256-232-7207.
Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
The Athens-Limestone Beautification Board will hold the Dogwood Festival Fashion Show and Luncheon at noon Tuesday, March 12, at the Beasley Center, First United Methodist Church on the corner of Bryan and Marion streets. Fashions by Claborn Specialties Boutique and The Shoe Gallery II. Tickets are $25 and must be purchased no later than March 5. No tickets sold at the door. Ticket information: RSVP 256-232-7207.
• Council on Aging. An “Associate & Appreciate” meeting will be held at 10 a.m. today, Feb. 15, at Limestone County Council on Aging, 912 W. Pryor St. Meet officials for conversation, questions and to exchange ideas. Refreshments served.
• Positive Outlook. Positive Outlook will meet from 10 a.m. to noon today, Feb. 15, at the Athens Recreation Center. Positive Outlook is a support group for the blind and visually impaired. Contact: 256-232-1493.
• Friends of Archives. The Friends of the Archives quarterly meeting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. (the green, former train depot). Members and public invited. Contact: 256-233-6404 or email@example.com.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Susie Adams, licensed and certified lymphedema and massage therapist. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Historian, and Senior Military Instructor Ed Kennedy will give a talk on black Confederate soldiers. Public invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.