Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. today, Sept. 10, at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Patriot Day event
Living Water Works Ministries and member of the Athens-Limestone Ministerial Alliance is holding a Patriot Day event from noon until 1 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, on the east side of The Square at the flag pole. Contact: John Axford 256-431-4111.
Ardmore book signing
The Ardmore Public Library will host a book signing at 4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, for locally born author Loretta Ekis and her book, “Southern Ways and Southern Days.”
Dog rescue fundraiser
Peace, Love and Animals will hold a yard sale to raise funds for dog rescue from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13-14, at Athens Skating Rink on U.S. 72.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Sept. 12, at 256-232-7207.
Boy Scout fundraiser
Boy Scout Troop 221 will hold a car wash from 9 a.m. “until” on Saturday, Sept. 14, at Salem United Methodist Church. The event is to help raise money for 2014 summer camp.
Coupon patrol workshop
The nonprofit organization Coupon Patrol, which teaches consumers how to use coupons to best advantage, is holding a free workshop at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at Yesterdays Event Center off Browns Ferry Road in the Reid community. Attendees are being asked to bring two canned-food items to help families in need.
The Dallas family reunion will be at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, at the West Side Community Center. Please bring a covered dish. Lunch will be at 12:30 p.m. For more information, call Betty Dollar at 256-729-6042.
Legg Cemetery decoration
Legg Cemetery decoration will be Sunday, Sept. 15. Donations or upkeep may be mailed to: Delois Mason, 27359 Leggtown Road, Elkmont, Ala. 35620.
The Lions Club dove hunt will be held Sept. 14 and 15 at Dickey Hobbs Farm Sunflower-millet. Preselect spots are $30 and $20 the day of the hunt. Contact: 256-732-4304 or 256-732-4300.
Fire department yard sale
The Clements Volunteer Fire Department is in need of donations for its annual yard sale to be held the first weekend in October. Call 256-374-8350 to have items picked up.
Candlelight vigil planning
Crisis Services will hold planning meetings at 6 p.m. each Tuesday in September for its annual Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Domestic Violence to be held Tuesday, Oct. 8 on The Square. More information: Christa 256-232-0280.
• Cancer Society. American Cancer Society will meet at 6 p.m. today, Sept. 10, at Shoney’s. More information: 256-232-6455.
• Athens Garden Club. Athens Garden Club will meet for lunch and initial business meeting Wednesday, Sept. 11, at the Forrest Hills Clubhouse. Business meeting at 9:30 a.m. Covered dish luncheon no later than 11. Laurie Glenn, chairwoman of the Athens Saturday Market, will speak.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Athens Recreation Center at the intersection of U.S. 31 North and Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. More information: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. For more information, call Judy Rew at 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter at 256-771-3536.
• VFW. VFW and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the post home on North Jefferson Street. Call 2256-233-0213.
• Cowart PTO. Cowart Elementary School will have a PTO meeting and open house beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.