The News Courier
Athens Christmas parade
The 10th annual Reliance Bank Christmas Parade has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday. It will start at Athens High School on U.S. 31. Float lineup begins at 3:15. The theme is “A Storybook Christmas.” The parade goes west along Hobbs Street, winds around the courthouse, travels down Jefferson Street and ends at Hometown Grocery.
Legion Christmas party
The American Legion Post 49 and Ladies Auxiliary will hold their annual Christmas party and dinner at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Post home on Cloverleaf Drive. Free to members who have paid 2014 membership dues which can be accepted at the door. More information: Camden Kent 256-206-6970.
Tanner United Methodist Church is holding a pancake breakfast fundraiser from 8-10 a.m. Saturday at Applebee’s on U.S. 72. Tickets, available in advance or at the door, are $7 for adults, $5 for children ages 6-12 and free for ages 6 and under. Proceeds benefit the church and youth department.
Elkmont Christmas parade
The Elkmont Lions Club annual Christmas Parade will be at 1 p.m. Saturday. Entry forms are available at www.elkmontlionsclub.com , Elkmont Town Hall, Citizens Bank & Trust or from Lions Club members. Entry fee is $20. There is no fee for horses and fire trucks.
Sippin’ Cider on The Square
Area residents can combine shopping and family time Saturday on the downtown Athens Square. Activities include roasting marshmallows, a mini-art camp, decorating gingerbread men and other crafts. Ballots available at participating businesses to vote on each merchant’s cider to determine a Sippin’ Cider Cup winner. Events are free and sponsored by the Spirit of Athens.
Hunter Bauer blood drive
The Hunter Bauer blood drive will be from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday at the First United Methodist Church Beasley Center.
Vietnam Veterans Post 511 will have a spaghetti lunch and dinner from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5-7 p.m. Monday at the post at 17915 W. Elm St. Tickets are 47; carry-outs are available. Call Bill at 256-233-5549 or Roxanne at 256-206-6702.
Boy Scout Christmas trees sale
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 is selling Fraser fir Christmas trees through Dec. 21 or until sold out at the corner of East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot. The sale is a fundraiser to buy troop camping equipment.
Korea show CDs available
CDs of the show “Korea, The Forgotten War Remembered” are available for pickup between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Mondays thru Fridays at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St., in Athens.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Dec. 12 at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office at 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 13 at the Athens Recreation Center at the intersection of U.S. 31 North and Alabama 251. Members are requested to bring items for scholarship benefit auction. More information: 256-729-1145.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Dec. 13 at the Birdie Thornton Center to host the Christmas party. Members are asked to bring snacks.
• NAACP. The Limestone NAACP annual meeting is at 3 p.m. Dec. 14 at 17308 U.S. 72 West. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will share Christmas dinner and fellowship at 6 p.m. Dec. 17 at the VFW Post on N. Jefferson Street. The monthly meeting will follow. Contact: Kevin 256-919-1032.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.