• Community cookout. Central Church of Christ will host a Fourth of July community cookout beginning at 5 p.m. Thursday, July 4. Hot dogs, hamburgers and homemade ice cream will be served. Face painting for children. Fireworks at dusk in Swan Creek Park.
Contact: Joy Leopard 256-232-2014.
• Homecoming. Little Ezekiel Missionary Baptist Church on Lindsay Road in Tanner will celebrate homecoming at 11 a.m. Sunday, July 7. The theme is “Come Into Thy Father’s House with Thanksgiving and Praise.” Pastor Antoyne Green and New Life Church will be guests.
• CEI Lectures. A series of family-oriented lectures with the theme of “Building Strong Families for Strong Churches and a Strong Nation” will be conducted by CEI Lectures Monday through Thursday, July 8-11, at Athens Bible School. Includes subject matter relevant to men, women and children. See CEIbooks.com for the lecture schedule.
• Summer revival. New Life’s Summer Revival is set for Monday through Wednesday, July 8-10. Pastor Christopher A. Wimberly of the Hunter Hill First Baptist Church in Atlanta is the guest revivalist. Music by the Little Zion Missionary Baptist Church Mass Choir on Monday, the St. James Primitive Baptist Church Mass Choir on Tuesday, and the New Life Music Ministry on Wednesday. Worship begins at 7 each night. The public is invited.
• Revival. Peace Missionary Baptist Church at 1214 Plainview Circle in Athens is inviting the public to attend revival services at 7 nightly July 8-12. The evangelist for the week is the Rev. Clifford Mayes of Toledo, Ohio.
• Calvary VBS. Calvary Baptist Church at 16090 U.S. 72 West will have Vacation Bible School from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., July 8-11. Registration begins at 6 p.m. Contact 256-431-8286 for information.
• Steps Session. All students are invited to take part in Step Sessions, an NAACP sponsored reading program, at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, July 13, at Round Island Creek Mission Center at 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun at no charge. For more information, call 256-216-5668.
• Sister Aide & Matron. Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church will have its annual Sister Aide and Matron’s Celebration at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, July 14. The Rev. Joe Hereford, pastor of Moses Chapel P.B. Church will be the guest speaker.
• Bible school. Majestic Chapel will have Vacation Bible School from July 15 through July 19.
Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to email@example.com or a fax to 256-233-7753.