The News Courier
The Bethel, Tenn. Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the Lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food items are being collected for the food bank.
All former employees of Eaton Corporation are invited to breakfast at 8 a.m. Saturday at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: Charlotte Pack 256-232-7404.
Goodsprings open house
A nonprofit Christmas open house will be held from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the Goodsprings Community Center, 18 miles west of Athens on Alabama 99. Jewelry, makeup, candles, lotions, totes, crafts and more will be available. Door prizes and refreshments. Contact: Rhonda Long 256-729-8121.
A special Caregiver’s Night Out respite for Christmas shopping will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church, 1300 Lindsay Lane. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Nov. 29, at 256-232-7207.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Old-time Christmas musical
An old-time Christmas musical will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Senior Center on Pryor Street. Performers will include Denver and Tina Betts; Threefold; Cornerstone; Sister Grace and Forgiven Four. Proceeds will benefit medical expenses for cancer victim Vicki Bedingfield. Tickets are $5 at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives or at the door the day of the program.
Pickin’ & Grinnin’
The Elkmont Pickin’ & Grinnin’ is held at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at the Elkmont Depot downtown. Live music and dancing. Call 931-427-6296.
Lincoln-Bridgeforth tree lighting
The Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park annual Christmas tree lighting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday. There will be drawings for free bikes and toys and plenty of hot chocolate and refreshments for everyone. Contact: Robbin Hines: 256-874-0287.
AHS Class of ’56
Athens High School Class of 1957 will meet for a Dutch treat lunch at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Momma D’s Restaurant, 25501 Elkton Road. For more information, call Jannett at 256.206.5858.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 pm Friday, Dec. 7, at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Please make reservations by calling RSVP Office at 256-232-7207 no later than noon, Thursday, Dec. 6.
Troop 7236 Christmas Trees
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 has Frasier Fir Christmas trees for sale through Dec. 18. Visit the new location at East Limestone and Capshaw roads. at the old Reliance Bank lot.
Festival of Trees tours continue
The Donnell House continues its Festival of Trees tours today, 5-7 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 1, 1-5 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 2, 1-5 p.m. Tours of 10 or more people may be scheduled by special arrangements. Call Tiffany Seibert at 251-232-2952 or 256-233-7602; Jacque Reeves, 256-536-5737 or 256-509-3940.
Athens/Limestone County books sale
Friends of the Archives have reduced the price of some of their best-selling books. You can purchase “Treasures of Athens and Limestone County” for $50; “Athens, AL 1861-1865” for $30; “Letters to L&N” for $25; and “Diary of R.B. Meadows” for $10. New books available include “Athens Post and Weekly Post of 1867” and “Schools of Athens and Limestone County,” each $35. Books may be purchased at the Limestone County Archives, Pablo’s on Market and U.G. White. Contact Archives at 256-233-6404.
• Tremor support. The North Alabama Essential Tremor Support Group will meet at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at Madison Wellness Center, 8391 U.S. 72 in Madison. Discussion will center on effective coping strategies for dealing with holiday stress. There will also be a small gift exchange. Essential tremor is a neurological condition that affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
• Healing Hearts. Healing Hearts of Limestone County support group for pregnancy and infant loss will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, in the Education Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital. There will be a meal at this meeting along with a Christmas ornament exchange. Please bring a Christmas ornament that you feel represents your special angel in some way. We will discuss managing the holidays and coping with loss at the same time. If you have any questions, please message or post to our Facebook page -Healing Hearts of Limestone County or call 256-497-7285.
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet Tuesday, Dec. 4, at the chapter hall. Food at 6:15 p.m., meeting at 7.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Board of Adjustment. No Board of Adjustment meeting will be held in December due to no applications being submitted.
• Piecemakers Guild. Piecemakers Guild will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, at First Church on Lucas Ferry for a Christmas party. The program will be by the Quilter’s Square of Franklin, Tenn. Please RSVP to Debbie Yff at 256.230.0922 or Theyffs@yahool.com
• ALSO. In lieu of a regular monthly meeting, Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at Birdie Thornton Center at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 7, to host a Christmas party for the clients. Please bring a snack.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.