Lincoln-Bridgeforth tree lighting
The Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park annual Christmas tree lighting will be at 5 p.m. today. There will be drawings for free bikes and toys and plenty of hot chocolate and refreshments for everyone. Contact: Robbin Hines 256-874-0287.
AHS Class of ’56
Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet for a Dutch treat lunch at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Momma D’s Restaurant, 25501 Elkton Road. Contact: Jannett 256-206-5858.
Benefit toy drive
Owens Volunteer Fire Department will host a benefit toy drive from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Dollar General story on Alabama 99. Donations of new toys for all ages are needed for local children. For information or to make advance donations call Dennis and Tammy Blakely 256-655-9196.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Dec. 6, at 256-232-7207.
Elkmont band stew
The Elkmont High School band will hold a chicken stew at 11 a.m. Saturday at the downtown Elkmont Volunteer Fire Department. Gallon is $18 and quarts are $5. Bring own containers. Meals available for $5 and include stew, crackers, dessert and drink. See students for presales. Contact: Mike Ikard 256-431-0542.
The annual Spirit of Athens Sippin’ Cider event will be held from 5-8 p.m. Saturday on the downtown Square. The free event allows participants to taste cider at area merchants and vote for their favorite, and register for door prizes. Santa and Charles Dickens’ characters will be available for photos. There will be Christmas crafts for children at various stores. Contact: Holly Hollman 256-262-1399.
Heart of Athens calendars
Heart of Athens calendars that feature paintings by local artists of many community landmarks are available for $18 each at U.G. White’s and the ASU Center for Lifelong Learning, both on the downtown Square. They can be purchased online at http://www.athensspirit/blogspot.com. Calendar sales benefit the nonprofit Spirit of Athens and their work in downtown revitalization.
Troop 7236 Christmas Trees
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 has Fraser Fir Christmas trees for sale through Dec. 18. Visit the new location at East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot.
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet today, Dec. 4, at the chapter hall. Food at 6:15 p.m., meeting at 7.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Board of Adjustment. No Board of Adjustment meeting will be held in December due to no applications being submitted.
• Piecemakers Guild. Piecemakers Guild will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, at First Church on Lucas Ferry for a Christmas party. The program will be by the Quilter’s Square of Franklin, Tenn. RSVP to Debbie Yff at 256-230-0922 or Theyffs@yahool.com.
• ALSO. In lieu of a regular monthly meeting, Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Birdie Thornton Center to host a Christmas party for the clients. Bring a snack.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.